Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Pigs  (Read 9616 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats and Pigs
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »
Thanks Anke, Tizaala and Trying!

I will have to employ delaying tactics then and sort out the fencing.  Once DH makes his mind up about something, he's on to it, only to find later down the line it was a big no-no.  I don't think the Golden Guernseys are horned though we do have horned sheep and I know the predicaments they can get into.  We would likely get very young ones so we can train them ourselves, and no more than 3, all female.

Have you got any lined up already? Not many for sale at the moment, so even if you join the queue it may be a while before you get any.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »
Hello, Anke, 

DH had contacted someone in Okehampton, not too far from where we live in Devon.  She is on the RBST website as having some for sale.  He emailed her yesterday but no reply yet.  I also know there's a guy near Hatherleigh in Devon who runs goatkeeping courses, and he had GGs for sale/stud last year.  You're right though they seem to be few and far between.

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »
Oh Maggie - we are in Devon too - down by Sidmouth - Hello!!  :wave:
Our area is already fenced - mainline electric, as our youngest Kune is very big, and to be honest, they haven't gone near the fence since we put it up a year ago.  I think temporarily fencing an area for the goats would be a good idea for us, as then they can get used to the pigs.  Our Llamas are absolutely petrified of them - think it is something to do with low lying stocky fast moving things (perhaps inbuilt fear of Jaguar's??) who knows???? Anyway, once when Piglocks the big Kune escaped, the Llamas all clubbed together and after their initial fear tried to take him down!  So, will be very cautious with the goats, just incase they react in a similar way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS