Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hond Quad  (Read 5539 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Hond Quad
« on: June 30, 2009, 06:31:23 pm »
Anyone out there know what might now be wrong with my quad as very loath to take it to Honda dealer.
OH renewed solonoid (I think spelling might be wrong), put on new battery, and new brushes in the starter motor. It has an electric start and this now won't work. I can only start the thing by pulling the pull cord down the side of the machine, and that is not the easiest of things.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Hond Quad
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:19 pm »
Hello,

A couple of things (that ours has done) 1) there is a sensor in the gearbox which prevents you starting it if it's in gear - however this sometimes gets out of synch - to remedy this we can either go right up the gears using the electric selector and right down again to neutral; if this doesn't work then give the starter cord a slight tug (not enough to start it) then try the electric start.
2) the connections on the switch assembly (on the handlebars which house the starter and gears) get a bit temperamental - we twist the assembly on the handlebar and twist back again (only moving it 1/4" either way).

Now the "not telling you to suck eggs bit" - we never use the orange kill switch next to the starter button - we just turn off the ignition - this hasn't been left in the off position ? (we were caught out a couple of times by this).

Cheers

Gavin

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:14:59 pm »
No not the orange switch, and know about trying to start in gear as it doe's not work. When OH rang the dealer before breaking his head they tried to sell him a new starter motor, but when the starter button is pressed I can hear a clicking sound behind the seat somewhere. Has auto gears as well as manual.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »
Check if the clicking sound is coming from the new solonoid.  If it is then that is probably working.  You could use a meter to check that current is getting from the solonoid to the starter when you try to start it.  Also, are you sure the new battery is fully charged?  I've had this in the past, they are supposed to be pre-charged but still require topping up sometimes. Did hubby check the armature of the starter when fitting the brushes, they can sometimes get burned/blackened by worn brushes and need a clean.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:36 pm »
I think this is a problem with honda auto gear selector quads ours drains the battery if it stands for too long or if we use the sprayer (or any other electric item). Its almost as if there is a standby mode on the bike. We won't buy an auto gear bike next time
Ian

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:18:35 pm »
Anyone out there know what might now be wrong with my quad as very loath to take it to Honda dealer.
OH renewed solonoid (I think spelling might be wrong), put on new battery, and new brushes in the starter motor. It has an electric start and this now won't work. I can only start the thing by pulling the pull cord down the side of the machine, and that is not the easiest of things.

Kaz...........we always take both of ours to daltons, we callthem and normaly get to take it in straight away, :)
they've always been very good, and a reasonable price  ;D
I'll sort the number out if you want, and there address :)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:22:27 pm »
Thanks Danndans.....................that might be a good idea as not mechanically minded.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »
I'll pmit to you ok  :)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS