Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel not treading/infertile?-update, maybe  (Read 7289 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
cockerel not treading/infertile?-update, maybe
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:58:56 pm »
So bought a quite pricey Minorca cockerel at the National so had him since Jan. Last years bird (March). I haven't seen him tread a hen yet but they are round the back and I am at work all day. Hens all laying well. Just candled 10 Minorca eggs at 7 days-all empty.

Any ideas? everything else is doing it like its going out of fashion but I've not even seen this chap dance. anyone had this happen?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:09:20 pm by lord flynn »

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: cockerel not treading/infertile?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:48:07 pm »
Yes I got cocks up from England twice from the same chap and both were firing blanks. Lost a whole years breeding very frustrating but that happens sometime. I would be asking for a replacement and hoping for the best.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:57:27 pm »
hmm, there'll be no replacement from this guy this year unless I get south. I have a feeling that this chap has never been kept outside either. I am going to pay special attention to see if I can see him tread at least.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:11:00 pm »
There is some big sales on ...I still think you could turn this around look round clitharo lankashire im in staford easter week etc scots corner

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »
I have never seen my Minorcas treading and am doing 80% so far , just bear with him for now and hope he gets the hang of it , herd an old wife's tail that if u put another cock next to him or were he can see it it will gee him up a bit

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:42 pm »
thanks for the replies. It's still quite early I guess, still not very warm yet etc so will give hime some more time. Although he's got no other males in eyesight he is within earshot of three others  ;D

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:06 am »
it may be that he isn't the top bird in the flock Lord Flynn, rather than actually being infertile. Young cockerels can be shunned by an older flock of hens- a problem we've had in the past. The way round it is to remove the hens and re-introduce them one at a time, importantly starting with the lowest in the pecking order. He should tread each one as she is re-introduced and finally you bring in the top hen. She is now faced with what appears to be an established flock with a dominant cockerel and should submit. This approach has never failed us.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:36:12 am »
Sorry to be a kill joy but if he has not even filled one egg then I think his chances are very very slim. I would be replacing him sooner rather than later.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:36 am »
well, he's only in with two hens (18 month old, not pullets) and was introduced to them one at a time. There's no sign of the hens giving him a hard time and although penned, they have plenty of greens, perches and are on breeders pellets. He looks healthy enough and I wormed them all about a month ago.
I will maybe go back to the breeder of the hens, see if she has a different strain and can let me have an unrelated cock. It will be a shame if I can't breed them this year but not the end of the world.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:52 am »
Sorry to be a kill joy but if he has not even filled one egg then I think his chances are very very slim. I would be replacing him sooner rather than later.
Agreed. Assuming this is a mature cockerel then he should be treading the laying hens. It's Spring for heavens sake! So if he doesn't do it now, then I wouldn't give out much hope for allowing him more time.

Interesting BigChicken that you bought 2 cockerels from the same source and they were both firing blanks. :thinking: It can't exactly be an inherited fault though, can it? ???
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:21 am »
It's just the luck of the draw landroverroy, bought in so don't know their medical history could have had a challenge in his flock rendering the cocks infertile it's anyone guess.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 01:43:07 pm »
Did you introduce him to the top hen of the pair, or the bottom hen Lord Flynn? Is it worth trying to introduce him again?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 01:58:03 pm »
I really don't think thats the problem Chis, I think he thinks he's a girl! I have been watching them, there's no sign of anyone picking on anyone. They have an exterior laying box-the girls go in and lay-then he goes in and sits and makes laying noises! Now he does crow and he does offer the girls food but there's no other cockerel type behaviour. He's nice to handle. He's also a year old-I'd have thought instinct would have kicked in by now even though he's had a bit of a climate change!
I actually wish I could free range him for a bit and see how he got on-if nothing else, if he showed he could look after his girls then I could perhaps rehome him to someone who didn't want to breed but would enjoy looking at him. I just can't do that right now though for various reasons (I have one group free-ranging because their pen got flattened in last storm and ground is too soft to do owt about it, another group is in a really big pen).

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 04:21:53 pm »
The behaviour like a hen is typical of a top hen subdued cockerel Lord Flynn- that's exactly what ours did. If possible can you separate him for a while to regain his confidence?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »
well, it's worth a try :) completely on his own? There are no other poultry round back (ducks). I have a very low ranking old hybrid I could put in with him?The Scots Greys tend to be quite feisty, as do the Marsh Daisies and they are too small for him anyway (should he decide to start!).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS