Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We need help!  (Read 1608 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
We need help!
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:48 am »
So hello TASers, not been on here for a loooong time (OH had the bonkers idea of opening a beer shop and i have pretty much been tied to the counter ever since!)!   Meanwhile the grass has been a growing, the veg plots have reverted to nature.... and the garden? well lets just say its a 'wildlife' garden now? :roflanim:

So we have a lovely static on our patch ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g672155-d7163407-Static_caravan_on_peaceful_Smallholding_Nr_Bala-Bala_Snowdonia_National_Park_North_Wal.html ) and were wondering if we could entice some would be smallholders to come and 'try it out' in exchange for accomodation.  Had a look at Helpx and that doesnt seem quite right for us ( I neither need 30 hours a week, nor will be around to provide full board or lead )... any other suggestions or volunteers?  I think Id be hoping for about 3 or 4 hours a day ish as a swap for accomm with duties to be mainly relating to grass and weeds (scything lesson included if interested :-) )! The sheep pretty much look after themselves at the mo, but it could be a great opportunity for some headspace to 'try on' a smallholding in wales for a few weeks....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:05:42 pm by FiB »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: We need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:14:39 pm »
How about getting someone in to serve in the beer shop, so you could concentrate on the smallholding?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »
 :wave: fleecewife :-) !  ££££ is our prob (still not paying ourselves yet..) so having to think laterally and think about swaps and barter!  (plus if i had a day off, i would probably end up  :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: , not strimming! I still have a Mahooosive stash of prepped and dyed fibre from this year's 'fleece to fibre' weekend which is taunting me!  Feast your eys on these... https://www.facebook.com/A-bit-of-Bala-Beauty-Dark-Sky-Camping-and-Glamping-158660187617688/photos/?tab=album&album_id=645065572310478  ;D ;D ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »
You could pay your shop assistant in beer ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:19:41 pm »
The little bit I was allowed to see looks wonderful fun (I don't have a facebook account so I'm shut out of most of it  :'(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:34:37 pm »
Like FW I dont have facebook but can look at the general set up which look amazing. Certainly what you suggest is a proposition I would have been interested in but realistically it would have been for a week maximum rather than a few weeks as you seem to really want.
I would be sure  that advertising it as a 'working week for free accommodation' ,and perhaps some direction on what to do in the area for the rest of the time , would be very a very attractive option. I spent so many of my holidays as a child and young adult in and around Bala. It is a breathtakingly beautiful part of the world.
Good luck.
......where is the beer shop?
Greg

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:20:36 am »
Don't discount HelpX .... just be honest with what you want .... I've had HelpX who are British and will happily cook their own meals for less hours work (I supplied basic ingredients) .   

I do think you are unlikely to get anyone for any length of time ... but some will be happy for a weeks 'holiday'   ..... but here again there are HelpXers who are happy to do longer periods as they have chosen a 'lifestyle' for themselves.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:05:37 am »
ok might try a helpex add cheers:-) . We would be happy with a week at a time too - but there is the opportunity for longer... If anyone fancies it, give me a shout!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 12:37:09 am »
At one time I would have loved a holiday like that but I wouldn't be a lot of use to you now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS