Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what's up with my chook?  (Read 3790 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
what's up with my chook?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »
I have a young buff sussex female, bought POL about a couple of months ago (along with a light sussex to keep a recently bereaved bluebelle company)        for the past few days she has been making a funny noise like a sort of short alarm call/squawk and sometimes she shakes her head a little after it   sometimes it's like she has sort of coughed and shouted at the same time?    at first thought it was actually an alarm call but you can hear her in the coop at night when shutting up for the night    it's intermittent but is becoming more frequent     she looks ok and is eating, perhaps not as enthusiastically as her two chums tho        any ideas??

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: what's up with my chook?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »
It sounds similar to symptoms of gapeworm.  Has she been worked with flubenvet?

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
thanks Mammyshaz
we used the the pellets that contain flubenvet not long after we got them - could she have picked that up after that ?     is the 'normal' flubenvet a better bet?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
The pellets probably dose more accurately than the powder.  The last hen we had with suspected gape worm reinvested a month or so later so we retreated and then retreated 3weeks later as indicated on flubenvet for known worm infestation. She didn't have a problem after that.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »
Do check that she doesn't sound fluidy or rattly when she breathes, and her eyes and nose have no discharge, as this could be a sign of other more serious problems.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:26:46 am »
Ours make the noise you describe when they have guzzled too much corn Ewesaidit. As Mammyshaz suggests give her a general health check. I'd make sure the bedding is clean and dust free and there is adequate ventillation.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:12:20 pm »
thanks for replies everyone - not been on the forum for a while hence the delayed response
used the flubenvet pellets again and she is still making the noise!   eating ok and seems well enough - not discharges or anything
presume if it was gapeworm she would be rather unwell or have popped her clogs by now?
is it possible she's just a noisy girl?     she does squawk at night if you put the outside light on - I suppose it sounds a bit like an alarm call!
any more thoughts?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 01:38:13 am »
Any nasal discharge after that funny noise Ewesaidit? Ours do sometimes and I've put it down to an allergy, because they were otherwise healthy and it stopped eventually. I wondered if it was some kind of hay fever or dust issue?

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »
Hi Chrismahon
no discharges        maybe I should worm again?     is there a separate specific wormer that can be used if it is gapeworm?
when she makes the noise it is quite loud!   which makes me think is she just sensitive and 'shouty'?!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
A really random outside chance I know but......

Sweetpea, my first little bantam hen started making odd noised like you describe...... a couple of months before HE started to crow! Talk about a late developer :D  He was well over a year when he got all his male plumage in! He has since sired half the pullets on the field too, unless Kellog's the welsummer can produce a walnut comb and fluffy feet I have to assume Sweetpea is very fertile :roflanim:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »
Hi colliewoman
hmm - interesting!    'she' doesn't seem to have any male characteristics - she actually has a very small comb compared to the other two       any other signs to look out for (apart from an obvious interest in the other two females ;D
as an aside I have noticed that she doesn't appear to scratch which is odd     she is eating and seems fine in herself otherwise   
 ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS