Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: words I've been dreading...  (Read 5720 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
words I've been dreading...
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:52 pm »
..."mum the goats are on the vegetable patch..."

at 8am this morning grrrrrrrrr.

well they'd found a way through the fencing (as we knew and expected they would, they do after all have all day long to study their escape route.) so now they've had the grand tour of our neighbours garden and fertilised the veg patch they are back in the paddock with new fencing attached.

how long before they find another way?! keeps me on my toes LOL!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: words I've been dreading...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:14:08 pm »
If there is the slightest weakness in a fence goats will find it. Some of my lot even get on the shed roof every now and then - for no reason other than because they can! :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »
Over the years, I have had many goats get through fencing.  You think you have every escape route covered ......and you haven't. I am sure they take pleasure in watching you bang the new fencing in, watch you walk away, and then go over and see how quick they can get through it.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »
LOL absolutely  ;D  I read somewhere that they have all day to do nothing but study the escape routes whereas we don't!
just found my saanen goatling on her side trying to sidewind through the 5 bar gate, little monkey!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:18:06 pm »
My very large toggenburg boys, can vault over a 5 barred gate with ease - why is the grass always greener on the other side!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »
blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope my girl never dares to try!
i now work on my mates farm so unlike before i cant keep an eye on them.
i wonder if you put a picture of yourself, like just your face on the gate post looking at the goats or a fake
eye, would that keep them at bay!!!!!!!!!! :goat:

my lovely wife beth ordered those udder wipes today online, so when they arrive i shall have a go at milking
molly since we are sure now she has a phantom pregancy
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »
just fished them out of neighbours beautifully manicured garden. they are in the shed - in disgrace.  hubby just returned after an evening with hammer, nails, fencing, wire and everything else. have run out of new fencing so will have to try to get some more tomorrow without leaving these little toads alone too long!!

good luck milking Langdon (its good when it goes well!! mine put her foot in the bucket twice today, cats are very happy as they get the milk when that happens)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:43 pm »
How did your neighbours take it?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »
I have a single strand electric fence around the top of the goat paddock fence with openers on the gates. They have never even tried to get near the fence,which is normal sheep netting.The only time they have got out was my fault leaving the gate just swung to. :goat: :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:00 pm »
Plums, what sort of fencing do you have?  Really needs to be 4ft tall to contain goats, although I used to have sheep netting, and two strands of plain wire, connected to next doors electric supply, at my old house, and had no problems.  Thats not high enough to hold this gang of goats in - its plain sailing to get over sheep netting for them.

Is there plenty of grass on your side of the fence?  Ours is very slow growing, with the lack of rain. If shortage of grass, the goats will try and leave home.  If thats the case, leaving hay out may stop them going off.

I can sympathise, as can most goat owners, its part and parcel of goat owning, trying to stop them escaping!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57:42 pm »
I know a great trick to stop your goats jumping over fencing. Sell every goat you have that jumps, and only breed from the rest. Give it, oh 25-30 years, and your goats will never jump a fence!  ;)

Although, in all seriousness, Anglo-Nubians escape less- I'm sure this is not because they are less intelligent.  :-\

At our old place the fence was really past it. The whole fence could fall down (and did on occassion) and the whole herd would walk out of the field. Apart from the two adult Anglo-Nubian females, who stood at the gate, looking puzzled as to how the other goats were running around the garden when the gate was shut!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:54 am »
You are absolutely right, Beth.  Cain and Abel, although they have long legs capable of jumping any fence, stay put in their field, and they are Anglo Nubian.  Right we all rid our other breeds and just keep those!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:22 am »
Luckily hubby was in the field at the time mending fences and making them higher so he saw them go in. they had no chance to do damage and the neighbours are as yet unaware but I will see one of them at school run today as she's my 5 year olds teacher!! so will tell her.

the field has quite long lush grass mixed with thistles and nettles. there are 3 acres for them and yet they jump into a garden with neatly cut short grass  ::)

the fences are just under 4 ft.  the mum just stays in the field, its the cheeky young ones and I think I know who the ring leader is.

went collar shopping yesterday and I nearly bought the 2 castrated boys some pink studded collars as punishment. 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:46 am »
the field has quite long lush grass mixed with thistles and nettles. there are 3 acres for them and yet they jump into a garden with neatly cut short grass 

You know what they say the grass is always greener on the other side. Good job hubby was there.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Just be careful with putting collars on your goats .....being so active and getting heads everywhere etc. its very easy for them to catch their collars and hang themselves.  I tend to avoid collars if I can, although Paddy the big billy has one, and two others who arrived wearing them still have them on too.  I know its a lot easier if they go walkabouts to bring them back with a collar on though!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS