Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I trust a builder (my new neighbour)??  (Read 3945 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Do I trust a builder (my new neighbour)??
« on: September 11, 2015, 03:20:22 pm »
The short story is I have a semi detached bungalow and my 3.5 acres wraps around next doors property and their 1/3 acre garden.

We tried to buy next door but the owner wanted more than our price range or what we think it is worth. Just found out it has been bought by a builder who has told us he is going to do it up and sell it.

The issue is we have had a structural survey done on the adjoining wall and next door has subsidence that is pulling on our property and the cracks are growing. I realise my hands are probably tied but I had been hoping that someone would fix it properly and live in it rather than someone hoping to make a quick profit.

Any thoughts on if there is anything I can do to make sure they resolve the issue rather than make it worse?  :gloomy:
________
Caroline

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Do I trust a builder (my new neighbour)??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 03:35:56 pm »
Speak to a surveyor about the Party Wall Act. If they are doing any work on the party wall they will have to issue you with a notice, and in some cases you will be able to employ a surveyor at their expense to ensure the work is carried out correctly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:47 pm »
If the builder needs planning permission for anything he plans to do it would be a good opportunity to ensure such problems are addressed as part of the package.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »
Don't trust a stranger Caroline. He's clearly in it for a quick turnover
Is it time to retire yet?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 08:52:37 pm »
Yeah that's my fear Kimbo.

Never heard of the party wall act, have just printed it off and having a read. If the builder is who I think I have found online he has good reviews about his work and keeping everything  :fc: he is not a cowboy
________
Caroline

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:21:00 am »
My understanding is that it is an offence under English law to conceal any pertinent fact about a property one is selling.  This applies to both the vendor and any agent. 

Therefore, if the builder is made aware of the issue, he's going to have to get it sorted or disclose it when he comes to sell.

However, I am very much a lay person, so hopefully one of our solicitors might drop by and comment!  [member=26617]Kitchen Cottage[/member] ?  You around?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:01 am »
I think if I was in this situation I would be trying my hardest to secure a mortgage or money to buy this, regardless of how much overpriced I thought it was, just to have that security. You could then sell on or rent and be in control of the tenants.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »
And the rent might well go a long way to covering the mortgage.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 12:10:39 pm »
Yeah I did a lot of calculations spoke to mortgage advisor etc but we have only been here for 9 months so still recovering from our move and setting up of the small holding. We had a structural engineer do a survey of the adjoining wall and he said property wasn't mortgagable which I agree is likely true, so our options were limited  :gloomy:

If the builder makes it mortgagable we could then get finance to buy it to have control over neighbours but would be a financial risk. Just need to wait it out and see what happens I suppose.
________
Caroline

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
For the purposes of this conversation I will recall my previous life. Afetr this, please go back to treating me like a smallholder type person.

Anyway, for 20 years or so I was a mortgage adviser. In an estate agency.

I'm pretty certain the builder will know it has a movement issue.

His intention will be either to fix it (good guy) or conceal it (bad guy).

Anyway - step one, is to ascertain if he is a good guy or a bad guy. Make friends with him and make your judgement.

That is, treat him like a new neighbour, welcome him etc and get an idea. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. The chances are, he's a good guy, most of them are. You don't hear about good guys, there's nothing exciting about them.

Next question - are you claiming on your buildings insurance or can you, or do you have legal cover on your insurance and can get some legal advice (on the party wall act).

Or - seeing as you know the guy is moving on - say 'are you doing anything about the subsidence - better upsetting him than your upsetting your next neighbour who is going to live there for years.

Good luck ... putting my smallholder uniform back on now.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:24:33 pm by adrian007 »

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:40 pm »
Thanks, yeah hoping good guy  :fc: Will check if I have legal cover on the building insurance, just incase I need to use it.
________
Caroline

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 05:05:43 pm »
I'm quite confused here. If the neighbouring property is damaging yours then there ought to be legal redress over that. Your insurers should know....and would wnat to know.
If someone bought it to repair then you ought to be happy albeit you inform them of the fact (in case they don't know) and point out that you'll have a new survey done when they've finished.
As for mortgages on property with problems..at least when i last looked at that it was possible to get a mortgage loan to include remedial repairs based on the new value of the property then - though it may be loaned in stages.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:53:58 pm »
Suggest you talk to a properly qualified Structual Engineer who understands the legal liabilities. You should be able to make an enquiry for free but have to pay for any follow up.  My concern on semi with 'one side subsiding' is whether subsidence would really be considered that segregated in law since while you may own half each it is in effect one building and the ground under each half cannot be too different.  Personally I would get some independent advice before raising a debate because even if his intentions are good he may well feel or have a case for you contributing to the cost of remedy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS