Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is the dream sheep breed?  (Read 13056 times)

AilsavanRooyen

• Joined Jul 2015
What is the dream sheep breed?
« on: August 22, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »
We are completely new to sheep and as such we would like help in selecting the breed of sheep (with/without crossbreeding) for our situation for there really are so many to choose from!  We might be hoping for too much, or there could be many breeds that fit, but I was hoping that our search for the perfect sheep will at least be simplified a bit by the opinions of the more experienced comrades....And then of course comes the issue of finding those sheep for sale! But one step at a time...
Our situation is that we are taking on a small arable farm on the NE coast of Scotland with low lying good rich soil but somewhat neglected grazing (horses or just occasional topping) amounting to 15 acres over several fields. We would like to get some sheep this year to start using the pasture and to start a breeding flock. This will lead to supplying meat for our future farm shop, and possibly some may be an added 'attraction' to the farm for visitors (so a bit of novelty value won't go wrong!). The ideal sheep therefore will be one that is suited to low lying rich grazing, is easy to work with (for the inexperienced, i..e easy lambers, milky ewes, good temperament), low maintenance (my husband works away and I have 2 young kids), can stay out year round (can provide field shelters) and very importantly, it must taste good! I hope this list might trigger some ideas in people's minds - all ideas very gratefully received! And thanks for sticking out this rambling message... Ailsa

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: What is the dream sheep breed?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:42:11 pm »
Have to say I kept Black Welsh Mountain and couldn't fault them. 

They are attractive to look at, Small and easy to handle (I am just under 5ft)  Intelligent and easy to train.  Weren't escape artists despite what everyone told me.  Did all on grass.  Easy lambers.  Good natural mothers and very milky.  Normally twin after the first year. No foot problems.  Slightly less likely to get fly strike.    And...... taste delicious.

Spare ewe lambs were easy to sell to other newbies as starter flocks.

PS  Loved weeds and cleaner my fields up beautifully
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:46:11 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Hebrideans mix of 2 and 4 horn for the nice aesthetics to look at. Meat is fantastic and in your ground you can get them easily bucket trained so you can work with them as required they are easy lambers low maintenance milky ewes with good temperaments  not sure how physically able you are but they are not to big to turn them over and there's going to be plenty for sale at Lanark mart on 29th august they should also improve the grass also

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
Southdowns their lovely, very docile and amazing mothers. Can't rate them enough, they produce very good lambs off grass alone.
Such characters as well.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:46:58 pm »
Have you read the 'Livestock sheep' section on this site ? If there was a perfect or dream sheep I don't think there would be nearly 60 native breeds in this country to be honest :) There is probably several breeds that may suit your requirements it's more your personal preference. My advice is to select a rare breed to keep the breed numbers up. (see rbst web site there may be something that floats your boat). Good luck  :thumbsup:

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 01:51:56 pm »
Forgot to add my dream sheep are Cotswolds (I like a challenge)!! but I don't think they would probably suit your circumstances But who knows? Certainly have the fleece to shelter them from that weather up there!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:56:44 pm »
TBH, these threads always end up with everybody recommending the breeds they keep themselves! However.....

• suited to low lying rich grazing
  • easy to work with
  • good temperament
  • easy lambers
  • milky ewes
  • low maintenance / outside all year
  • a bit of novelty value
  • must taste good
Sounds a hell of a lot like Zwartbles or Ryelands to me!  :thumbsup: Here is a pic of a couple of our Z's, just because you gave me the excuse!  ;D:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 02:04:04 pm »
Shetlands may suit you.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:13:55 pm »
I keep ryelands but the do seem to fit the bill. They have the cuteness factor too because people say they look like teddy bears.
Their short legs mean that they aren't escape artists and don't jump like many other breeds either.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:48:57 pm »
Shetlands should suit. Bucket / flappy feed bag trained my flock easily, variety of colours and markings for the novelty factor, easy lambers - all lambed outside with no assistance and great mothers, very hardy, and I sold the lambs super easy. :)

AilsavanRooyen

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 06:35:10 pm »
TBH, these threads always end up with everybody recommending the breeds they keep themselves! However.....

• suited to low lying rich grazing
  • easy to work with
  • good temperament
  • easy lambers
  • milky ewes
  • low maintenance / outside all year
  • a bit of novelty value
  • must taste good
Sounds a hell of a lot like Zwartbles or Ryelands to me!  :thumbsup: Here is a pic of a couple of our Z's, just because you gave me the excuse!  ;D:

Yes I foresaw that people might just like to say that their sheep are the best, but certainly not all sheep suit all habitats and owners, so to hear suggestions, with justification, is such a help. Your Zwartbles are seriously beautiful sheep, thank you! I can seee why you ightt want to show them off. Will be chasing up all ideas with great interest. I can see me wanting to get 2 each of 15 breeds. But I won't...

AilsavanRooyen

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »
This is great folks, thank you! Any further ideas will be welcome but this is just the sort of advice, enthusiasm and interest I am looking for. Since this is going to be a long term relationship I want to like the choice breed from the outset and a bit of character and beauty go a long way! That probably sounds sexist but I'm sure people know what I mean.. (in fact I always was fond of the runt too, or the feisty, but maybe best not to indulge)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 06:45:49 pm »
A lot of the breeds mentioned take a long time to mature to a killable weight and kill out the size of hamsters. If you are looking to supply meat for your shop, id at least choose another breed as well (if choosing a primitive at all) to give you a quicker finishing and better sized lamb. Only really saying this, because you suggest with the farm shop that your venture is slightly commercial.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 07:01:17 pm »
Zwarbles are pretty hefty which might not suit you.

Your dream sheep will be specific to you, so all we can do is make some suggestions.

The weather and climate of Scotland is very different from much of England, so it could be best to concentrate on local breeds, adapted to Scotland.
The rare breeds are in need of support, especially North Ronaldsays, Soay, Boreray and multihorned Hebrideans.   See the thread about 'rare breeds at Lanark Mart' - Palacerigg, which just received its RBST approval, has had the rug pulled out from under it by the local council, so there is a one-off chance to buy some of those sheep, on this Saturday at Lanark.  It would be lovely to see them stay in Scotland.

These are little sheep, so the meat carcase is lighter, but makes up for that in wonderful flavour.

For appeal to visitors, the Hebs, especially the multihorns, are stunning.

There are other rare breeds, some suitable for the Scottish climate - look back through past emails on this topic.

Another Scottish hardy breed, although no longer rare, is the Shetland.  These come in white and a huge array of other colours and patterns.  Added to all the other benefits of the smaller primitives, Shetlands grow a lovely fleece, which adds value and interest for your visitors, the possibility of having their fleece spun at a mill for sale in your shop and a new craft for you to learn.
You can also have the skins tanned for sale, another added value, and the tups have horns which can be used to make buttons, pendants or crooks.
You mention you have children - Shetlands in particular are great for kids to show.  They are small, easy to train and handle, and many breeders will be delighted to help with advice and friendship.  Some of the other breeds can be too big or too feisty for children to take into the show ring.

I keep the Ancient Type of multihorned Hebrideans and a couple of Shetlands, but in the past I have kept Jacobs (that's another breed with the wow factor, good fleece, beautiful skins and they are ready for slaughter in their first autumn), Gotland, Manx Loughtan, Soay, and some down type crossbreeds for fleece sales (a bit too wet here for them really)

Of all these breeds, only the down types lack the extra taste of the Primitives.  This develops in particular in sheep which are reared slowly, so if you are not restricted for space they are a great bet.  The Jacobs I mention above are pretty tasty too.  Top for us is Hebridean, but I do appreciate that many breeders need a quicker return.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:11:35 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:37 pm »
Every breed is the best breed to the people who keep them, for example I love my Lleyns :hugsheep: My suggestion would be to look at different breeds(which you like) looking at the society webpages and looking up people who keep them. I would email the people who keep them, preferably closest to where you live, and ask them about the breed, maybe even arrange a visit to see them for yourself and that will help you to decide what breed to keep. Possibly go to rare breed shows and talk to the people there.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS