Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 3261 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Cats
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »
We got back from our break in Northumberland and there was a cheeky little cat sunning themselves on my pile of wood behind my greenhouse. They quickly shot off into an area around two conifers which the previous owner installed fencing around with stock fencing and wood. It is pretty much inaccessible.

And would you believe it but when I stock my head between the conifer branches there was the little cat with a couple of kittens that look about 2 months old.

Do I tell the RSPCA - as I dont want more and more cats breeding. Do I try and catch the kittens as no doubt if we kept them as farm type cats they would help keep the rabbit population down (it's huge).

Either way - for now I can't get to them - but will see how they are all doing tomorrow.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:57 pm »
Contact your local cats protection branch. They will often spay and castrate ferals for free if you are amenable to the cat's staying.
They would do it even if you didn't want the to stay, but better generally all round if they can as if you remove them, another feral will move in and start breeding :cat: :cat: :cat:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »
Contact your local cats protection branch. They will often spay and castrate ferals for free if you are amenable to the cat's staying.
They would do it even if you didn't want the to stay, but better generally all round if they can as if you remove them, another feral will move in and start breeding :cat: :cat: :cat:

Funnily enough we have our own cat - but he had his bits seen too, and is also an indoor cat... so can't blame him for the two little balls of fur in the garden.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:18:36 pm »
I Second what CW said. CPL are very good in assisting with ferals.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »
I think that deep down you want to keep them, so make sure there won't be any more and good luck with them.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:24:11 pm »
I think deep down my wife would keep any animal she could. If it wasn't for full time jobs there would be a coupe of donkeys here before I could blink.  ;)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:26:13 pm »

Funnily enough we have our own cat - but he had his bits seen too, and is also an indoor cat... so can't blame him for the two little balls of fur in the garden.

Aw I'm sure a few more kittens won't make much difference then ;D :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:  Go on, keep em!!!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »
Add to the voices saying CPL. (and make sure the kits get neutered as soon as, they can get pregnant from as young ad 4 months).

Also if you want to keep them around I'd say try and get friendly with the kittens. At least used to seeing you. Will make it easier if you need to catch them at all.

And do we get piccies?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS