Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Early labour?  (Read 11237 times)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Early labour?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
Hello - I experienced exactly the same thing with my soay sheep.  Unfortunately I did not recognise this with my first one (who had no visible udder- and I thought was a long way off) and I was not therefore on the ball that she was in labour.  The ram had been very friendly with her all day and I wrongly assumed it was this.  This happened at about 2pm and was lambing in difficulty at 6.30am the next day.  I learnt from my error and saw this in Penelope(who had a huge udder) at about 5pm.  I was told that it would be 24-48 hours after.  She lambed at 9.15pm that night.  Millie lost her mucous at 9.00pm and lambed at 9.45am the next day.  So I would say in my limited soay experience it is a good sign- just keep an eye on her!  And dont be fooled by the no udder.  Millie had a huge bag (when Podita lambed) and lambed 3 weeks later!!! Hope that helps
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
Oh and I forgot to say- my farmer expert thinks I only saw it as I spent too much time with binoculars, a torch and sitting in the field- I tried to explain it was soay bonding - bt he just thought I was mad  :D

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:03 am »
Thanks all.

Squeasy - I shall be trekking through the snow again soon in that case and assume that even though she is showing no other signs yet, things maybe imminent. My sheep mentor didnt seem to have seen anything similar and seeing that she had little udder development said that if she did start it would probably be an abortion.

One of my favourite ewes lost her lamb last week. She had shown no signs of labour apart from being a little quiet first thing but then seemed as normal. Looked out to see her standing over a dead lamb! Nothing to be done. My neighbour came and checked her over and we were so upset not to have at least been there. Might not have been able to change the outcome but it is the what ifs. Probably being a little over zealous now and trying not to miss anything.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »
Tup showing interest could be a sign of impending lambing - in cattle, the hormones just before calving have a similar effect on other cattle as do the bulling hormones.  I guess a similar thing could be true in sheep - anyone know?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »
My Jacob ewe also has a stringy bit which is quite fresh, she goes off alone and looks like she has loads of milk which makes me think she may decide to lamb soon. However she is around 10 days early, if I'm not wrong. I suspect she is having triplets so could this cause her to lamb as early? Or is she messing me around  :)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »
Well Muttley, still dont know exactly what the stringy thing was but she hasnt lambed yet  ......... so dont hold your breathe   ;D 

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:36 pm »
My Jacob ewe also has a stringy bit which is quite fresh, she goes off alone and looks like she has loads of milk which makes me think she may decide to lamb soon. However she is around 10 days early, if I'm not wrong. I suspect she is having triplets so could this cause her to lamb as early? Or is she messing me around  :)
I'm told triplets do come early.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »
Was this the one that lambed? 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:21 pm »
No Squeasy!!!!    ::)

The ewe with the stringy discharge looks fine. I do think her vulva looks swollen  ::) but nothing else yet.

The one to give birth was the one we least expected to be first. Oh dear.

So much to learn ..... all the reading doesnt seem to help an awful lot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 01:31:10 am »
I'm told triplets do come early.
This year, ours did.  2008, all the triplets were late.  They're sheep.  ::)  And they don't read the books. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS