Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: British Spotted ponies-now with pic (hopefully)  (Read 7352 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: British Spotted ponies
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »
Your colt will be interested in the mare now. He will go through or over any fence that is not high enough to keep him out. My Shetland yearling jumped a fence that was almost 3ft 6ins. His interest could bring the mare into season. Some mares will even tease youngsters. First thing I would do if I bought him would be to worm. good hay should help him put on weight. if he does not start to improve get the vet to do a worm count. if his dam was not wormed then he could have long term damage by the age of 18 months. Be careful do not let your heart rule your head.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36:32 am »

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/funkyfish22/media/pony_zpscde353bf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

The fencing is shoulder high to me (5 foot 6) fencing with small holes, plus two lots of 3 strand electric- hopefully will hold him!

The breeder breeds and shows, she has 15 in total, but is not going to breed any for the next couple of years. All the ponies looked in good nick, the stables and fields were in great condition. Yes I've only got her word that he is wormed, but I get a good gut feeling about the breeder. (have bought/taken on many other animals form iffy people that sounded genuine..) I am keeping him in a smallish corner of our field so I can worm him and get to know him, make sure I can catch him! Then gradually expand it when I'm sure we have a bit of a bond- will let him out for a run around regularly and put some toys etc for him to play with.

I would LOVE his blanket spot half brother, he would have a play mate of his age and someone he knows, but even if I can afford the initial and day to day costs, even with insurance, being a vet nurse and mates rates drugs, it would be too much if hay got expensive, farrier, wormers, dentists etc etc.. we are on a tight budget any way.. So trying to reign in -( get it.. :P ) my heart!

I will do a rough FWEC as I do on all of my sheep and chickens, if I see worm eggs I send it off as I'm not fab at identifying them, its been too many years since I was in mixed practice!  :)

Have splashed out on a new energiser as ours a bit iffy, and he has had electric before so he knows what its about!

Have left a message with his breeder to say all is ready by the end of the week so can fix up date to get him home! ;D

Thanks everyone for the advice, its good to be made to think properly about it! Have taken on some animals in the past that seemed like a fab idea at the time then actually was not such a good plan, the 10 extra ducks. god they costing a fortune in feed etc. But its not their fault, I have to cut back on my stuff to keep them happy! Realised the day I picked them up.. Anyone for ducks? ;)

Have had a few days to think about it and still am mega excited, looking forward to the next 20 years with him!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:08:41 pm by funkyfish »
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:58 am »
All sounds great, looking forward to seeing pics of him.

Not sure what pic or pics that link was meant to show me?  I saw lots of nice pics of a nice lady (at a wedding?) and out with her dog...  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 10:08:19 am »
Sounds like you have taken care to think this out, looking forward to the pictures and hearing how you get on.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
Opps with the link! Not sure how I managed it!! will have another try later!!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
Hopefully the right link now, not my facebook pics!! ;D  I think this pic is a baby pic, taken off the breeders facebook page..
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:11:47 pm by funkyfish »

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: British Spotted ponies-now with pic (hopefully)
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »
He is a little beauty ! l understand how you fell in love with him. Enjoy  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS