Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to charge for a whole chicken  (Read 1217 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
What to charge for a whole chicken
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:11 pm »
My first batch of chickens will be ready soon how much do people charge per lb or per bird please??
Thank u all

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: What to charge for a whole chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:08 am »
Depends a bit on your processing and culling costs?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
I process the birds myself kill, pluck, and git myself. So the cost is almost nothing other than my time.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:20:33 am »
Have you got all the hygiene certificates and approval too? I know they're strict on meat processing. When I need to price something I value my time at minimum wage and take into account any costs. Either that or check the competition - in the case of eggs I charge more than other local hens but less than the supermarket free-range organic. In the case of honey, there is a local market norm, I think (which I also double checked against the supermarket but I think I'm higher than that). For live poultry, I charge what I paid for the breeding stock.  I know I lose money on the eggs but that's partly because my feed costs include a lot of growers at the moment. Hoping to break even on food costs overall by selling on birds and eggs. You need to calculate what it's cost to feed them to that point and how much they cost in the first place too - they're all costs and you have to make sure you're not out of pocket on them.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »
I charge £2.20/lb which was based on a full production cost of £1.20/lb inclusive of them being slaughtered, plucked, gutted and packed by a defra registered slaughterman. As mentioned before, I'd be super carefull selling the ones you do yourself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS