Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broodies  (Read 8651 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Broodies
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:10 pm »
One of my girls has gone broody. She's been sat tight for two days now. I don't have a cockerel anymore, is it worth getting a few hatching eggs and slipping under her or will she notice and decide to leave the nest. Thanks in advance.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Broodies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:47:33 pm »
I'm not an expert on this but what you are suggesting is commonly done - BH has done it all his life.  We have a good broody and will be doing it next time she sits and we can reach the nest::)

I don't know how well they can count (or at least have an idea of quantity) and therefore whether it's a good plan to remove exactly as many as you replace. 

I expect someone more experienced on this will be along to advise us both shortly...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:01:55 am »
Thanks all helps, i was wondering if I should replace the same amount.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:03 am »
dont think it matters 2 much swapping like for like as we sit ours on golf balls for a few days to be sure and only use 5 but our red silkie is now sitting on 12 pheasant eggs so long as u you only put under right amount for size of hen
sam :chook:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:55 am »
Because we collect the eggs daily, ours seem to end up going broody sat on a nearly empty nest anyway. The last couple of times we've just slipped eggs underneath after dusk, and all has been well.

One rule of thumb I read is that a hen can sit on 10 (some say 12) of the size of eggs she usually lays, then adjust up or down depending on the size of the eggs, and this does seem about right.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:23 am »
After 2 years of keeping hens I've now got my first broody :)
She began to sit on Wednesday morning. We moved her (to more suitable accomodation) on Thursday evening and I gave her a few more eggs just to keep her interested. I just put them next to her, and watched as she gently rolled them under her :)
I left her to her own devices. Then after buying eggs at Thainstone, (and squeezing as many as poss into the incy) I lifted her off the nest on Sunday morning and removed her 6 infertile eggs, replacing them with 13 (!) cold eggs. She had a massive broody poo, ate some corn, drank some water and after about 10 mins started to make her way back to the nest, where she settled on top of the new eggs, no bother at all.
Yesterday morning I lifted her off again so she could poo, eat and drink. She wandered for about 10 mins, then back to the nest again.

Seems like she is the perfect broody :) I'm just hoping she lasts the full 3 weeks.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:23:05 am »
Sounds lovely. I'd like a broody.

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:58 am »
I have my 1st Broodie, and i'm not really sure which way to go with her, I don't have a cock so she will be sitting on eggs a very long time ::), at the minute i am just ignoring it removing eggs as i would daily and trying to decide whether to buy in some fertilased eggs or whether to isoplate her to 'get her over it' although this does sound very harse !!

Any advice or comment greatefully recieved

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:14 am »
Well, I'd get her some eggs, but then I don't mind dealing with cockerels. If you can't deal with unwanted males then I would try to break her broodiness.
If you know anyone who keeps birds of prey they will probably take young males off your hands, so if you get eggs of an auto-sexing or sex linked mating you only get left with females ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:24 am »
Juno, I would think the most important factor is whether you want some more chickens.  If you do, why not get some hatching eggs and have a go?  If you don't, putting her in a 'broody sin bin' will only be for a few days.  I agree it seems harsh, but she gets food and water, just nowhere warm and comfortable to sit.  Unless anyone knows a better way to get a broody off the boil?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:58:30 pm »
Thanks everyone some realy great info. Our cockral has departed this earth for one reason alone and thats related to the scares down my left side, he had plenty of chances and unfortunetly missed opportunitys to be rehomed due to him wanting to mutilate perspective owners  ;D Waste not want not he roasted quite well.  ;) Need more chooks and cockral is fine so long as its not a syco.

Ill try half a dozen and see how we go, rule here in general is hens lay eggs males eat well  :yum:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:22:24 pm »
Ill try half a dozen and see how we go, rule here in general is hens lay eggs males eat well  :yum:

Good rule.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:18 am »

Good rule.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yep, that's the rule we use too! :D
Good luck everyone (me too) with all the broodies ;)

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:31 am »
Fantastic advice, i will get some eggs and see how we go
Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 07:50:56 am »
Cobra we had a violent cockerel too, a maran.  Since we have changed to Brahma cockerels we can run two with no problems.  Very gentle birds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS