Author Topic: Orf  (Read 1683 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Orf
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:57:12 pm »
Vet coming at 4pm. What looked like mange is quite possibly orf as my wether has sprung himself a nice pustule round his mouth. His field mate has 3 red marks on her nose.  :-\  currently sterilising any children that have touched goats and trying not to itch...
funny how when you google chorioptic mange images and then orf images they are very similiar. FIngers crossed!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Orf
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »
Whatever you do don't get it on a knuckle...hurts like hell! :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:12 pm »
Oh I know JJ - I've been itching all day and panicking over a little spot on my tummy that I decided was orf!!  Vet came out from De Montforts - its mange (chorioptic) so he's been ivermected, analgesia'd, anti inflammatoried and antibiotic'd as he's chewed his legs so bad one is infected.
Now to take out second mortgage to pay for that lot  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:22 pm »
Did the vet check your spot as well, Plums?  Would hate to think you had mange.   :roflanim:

Ooh now I'm itching just at the thought of it.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:19 am »
Wrong vet MGWM - if the 'other' one  :eyelashes: comes  MOnday I shall ask him to....
Does make you feel all itchy though, doesn't it?! On the plus side Reggie is walking on 4 feet today - yay!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:43:52 am »
Orf is just one of those things, if they get it after they are weaned it isn't half as bad. Just make sure no goat kisses....

One of my wether kids had it and except for the pustules on his chin/nose you wouldn't have known. But the lambs were somehting else... they looked terrible and almost stopped eating...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:28 pm »
Good news about Reggie.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS