Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pooing in the bath...  (Read 8604 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
pooing in the bath...
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:16 am »
our 15 week old kitten Bobby has decided to start pooing in the bath.  He has access to both a cat flap and clean litter tray. having had him since birth I know that his mother, snowball the black siamese X, taught him toilet manners so I am a bit disappointed to be constantly cleaning poo from the bath's where I dunk my children of a night.

Have tried lifting him out when I catch him about to do it and placing him in the litter tray, have tried putting a bit of water in the bath but he loves the paddle. also have had litter tray IN the bath but no, he prefers my antique (ie.crappy 70's style that we cant' afford to rip out yet) bath.

please help!!!!!!!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: pooing in the bath...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:12 am »
Keep the bathroom door shut?

Our hamster poos in the bath too  ::)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:18 am »
Our hamster poos in the bath too 

??? ??? ??? You've got to explain that! :)

As for pooing in the bath, hmmm, well how about try worming him, is the poo normal? Does he need some katalax lubrication? Has there been a change of food or a stressful event?
try lining the bath with newspapers?
have you changed his brand of litter recently?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:05:48 am »
Perhaps he likes the privacy, cats are very private creatures you know :cat: Try a cover on your litter tray.I would leave it pooing there though till you sort the problem, sounds awful but at least you know where it is and can bleach the bath!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:41 am »
Our hamster poos in the bath too 

??? ??? ??? You've got to explain that! :)

Well after finding my boys playing football with the hamster ball with the hamster in it  ::) I decided the satfest place to put her for some exercise was in the bath, out of the ball. We st up an assault course with toilet rolls and she loves it! Always and only on bath cleaning day though - before the cleaning of course!  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:34:20 am »
I was wondering how the hamster got in the bath Sharon!!

thanks for suggestions  :)

no recent changes in his short little life so far, vet gave us worming powder yesterday with his jabs so will try that.

Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:49 am »
I've had a few cats who have used the bath/wash basin when caught short & heard of others that do. I also had one (see photo on website) who used the toilet.  I'm okay with it as you can clean it up easily & then bleach as someone else said. And who hasn't had a baby poo in the bath water?!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:01:48 am »
this isn't caught short though - this is every time now and it is a habit I'd like him to get out of.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:11 pm »
It was said before but does your bathroom door have to be left open?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:37:13 pm »
yes i'm with doganjo on this, if everyone remember to keep the door shut hopefully you can break the habit, good luck!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »
Trouble is with shutting the door where will it go then! better the devil you know till a proper cure can be found.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 12:55:22 pm »
that was my worry - at least I can clean the bath, carpets etc not so easy  :-\  also my 3 year old not so good at shutting doors.
today he was meowing a lot and hovering by the bath, 8 year old managed to transfer him to litter tray - lots of praise after. fingers crossed!
just a bit yucky when guests use our loo and there's a dollap of cat poo in the bath that I didnt' know about lol!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:11 pm »
It sounds like the sides of the bath are what it likes around it to poo in private. Try putting the litter tray into a large box  with an easy entrance for the cat, before spending money on a covered tray. This is the problem covered trays were made for.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »
Thank you Hermit - will do that now.
Lisa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS