Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

Sheep / Re: Lamb illness
« Last post by Bywaters on April 29, 2024, 10:57:55 am »
silly question perhaps, but you are feeding formula milk aren't you ?

Some farmers just use cow's milk as they have lots of it     and formula milk costs

Does it have access to grass / hay and lamb creep pellets ? I would have thought it would be nibbling on solids by now, some of mine are eating solids at 10 days old
Sheep / Lamb illness
« Last post by Faye.Lear on April 29, 2024, 07:35:46 am »
Hello all!
Just looking to see if anyone has had anything similar.
I have a 3 week old bottle lamb which saw the vet on Friday thinking she had bloat, since then has not been taking much milk, still wanders around in her pen but just generally looks sad. Her breathing has stayed laboured but she is not rattling.

I am waiting for a call back from the vet this morning.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Goats / Re: Tombstone Feed barrier
« Last post by Goatherd on April 29, 2024, 04:15:36 am »

I have used this type of feeder in the way of pic 2 Also used the key hole type both made of wood put a step in front of it so thier feet/body is up it aids the head in and out and they do not seem to walk backwards pulling hay
  and wasting so much
Announcements / New diary post: Planting plants and tatties / Kittens / Pizza
« Last post by TAS Bot on April 28, 2024, 08:10:27 pm »
A new TAS diary entry has been posted: Planting plants and tatties / Kittens / Pizza
Goats / Tombstone Feed barrier
« Last post by Christian on April 28, 2024, 06:29:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

hope you are having a lovely spring with plenty of happy and healthy kids!
I've been thinking for a while about a better way to feed the goats and came across a tombstone feeder - something like this: https://lakelandfarmandranch.com/usa/product/tombstone-feed-front-for-goats/. (if you can't get into the internet, it's something like a lot of inverted U-U-U-U, with enough space between each U for a neck, but not a body). I could probably ask the local blacksmith if he's got an idea to do them goat-safe or try something in wood.... Has anybody done that?

Happy herding  :wave:

Christian (Scottish Borders)
Poultry & Waterfowl / Re: Poultry feed prices - let's keep track
« Last post by Womble on April 28, 2024, 08:56:55 am »
26/04/24 Harbro Stirling, Countrygold Layers Pellets 25kg, £11.48
Wildlife / Re: Swallows '24
« Last post by Rupert the bear on April 28, 2024, 07:47:40 am »
They have arrived ! A pair of swallows this morning. Their sight and sound better than any medication, I am so pleased.
Poultry & Waterfowl / Re: chicken's eyes are cloudy and crusty
« Last post by doganjo on April 27, 2024, 12:18:44 pm »
If you haven't managed to get to the vet yet, use the same treatment you would for a child

Cool boiled water, sterile pad dipped in it, wipe from the corner out once, change the pad or turn it to a clean bit and repeat - to remove pus, crustiness etc.

I had to do this with a quail, and their eyes are tiny.  Didn't need the vet - it was just dust from their bedding that had got encrusted
Poultry & Waterfowl / Re: chicken's eyes are cloudy and crusty
« Last post by chrismahon on April 26, 2024, 11:47:28 am »
First thing to do is separate her from all the others and observe bio-security rules. It may be contagious? The only reference I can find in my poultry books associated with cloudy eyes is to Mareks, but there is no mention of crustiness with it which could be just a bacterial infection. If it is simply a localised eye infection your vet will give you antibiotics. There is no alternative to vet treatment and it needs to be quick- today if possible.
Poultry & Waterfowl / chicken's eyes are cloudy and crusty
« Last post by ramiroflores on April 26, 2024, 03:35:22 am »
My chicken's eyes are cloudy and crusty. Please tell me what's wrong with it and a reasonable treatment method. Thanks in advance!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS