Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worst year for redmite?!  (Read 19239 times)

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
Re: Worst year for redmite?!
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 10:10:54 pm »
Sorry to here the spray hasn't helped. Just as a thought, could it be that they are just coming out of their hiding spots because they don't like it?

As I said I haven't tried it but I think anything is worth a try with those horrid little things. I have just got the stuff to mix it aswell. I haven't seen any mites in the houses but thought  I would use it as a preventative.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 08:08:32 am »
Get some Elector in a hurry (contact biocide). I think that's the only way to get it under control now. Then next year plan ahead, because Elector won't work two years in a row as they evolve immunity to it, as they do to all chemical treatments used regularly.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
I hope l have mine under some control now, spent the day drowning the shed in creosote, the real stuff, and will do the other huts as they become vacant for the winter.  Really hope this works its getting expensive. 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
I ran in and ran out to collect the eggs and sprinkle, they still got on my hair but not many.....I have been far too bad to clean them properly and I need a day to sort the shed out, although it actualy looks clean....how can you stop them crawling in your own hair? I put my hood up etc but still had the itches

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 05:19:58 pm »
hazmat suit?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »
hazmat suit?
:roflanim: , I did think about a shower cap with grease around the edge but I am not going out to buy one so could make do with a carrier bag :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »
carrier bags are the ultimate smallholding accessory you know (that and baler twine). I wear a carrier bag with 2 holes for my legs, so when I sit down to milk in the rain I don't get a wet bum. awesome! and you can change the bag to match your outfit, blue/white tesco, morrisons a nice shade of dog sick green...and so on.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »
Know what you mean Plums. We don't use orange baler twine because it doesn't match anything we have. We stick to the blue stuff.

Still think Elector is the only option when the infestation has got out of hand. If the red mite are still hungry when you go into the coop and jump on you, imagine how much blood the chickens are losing and how they feel!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 08:57:14 pm »
[quote author=chrismahon link=topic=36226.msg362837#msg362837 date=137633561

Still think Elector is the only option when the infestation has got out of hand. If the red mite are still hungry when you go into the coop and jump on you, imagine how much blood the chickens are losing and how they feel!

Where can I get some from?
Anne

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 09:22:52 am »
Elector sounds like the way forward. Hadn't heard of it before. would like to get some too - is it only online?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:41 am »
I have loads of BIG B&M bags, funny thing they are my size and my colour :innocent:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:28 pm »
Plums I have found it on Amazon, will ask my local ag merchant when I am next in there.
Anne

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:40 pm »
When we discovered Elector there was only one licensed Company in the UK supplying (mail order). Unfortunately our records are a bit of a mess at the moment with the move and we are moving again soon. BUT, I have just flicked through the file and the name Bowden and Knights was in the Elector spec. www.bowdenandknights.com. They were extremely helpful if I remember correctly. I did talk to Defra and ended up in conversation with the head vet. He recommended Elector but advised it couldn't be used in successive years. We tested that and sure enough the second year all the mites were immune to it -back to regular chemicals. £70 it was for the smallest bottle but it had a 4 year shelf life. A little goes a hell of a long way. Alternate treatments on a yearly basis.

This stuff is way past your local agri-merchant Daisy's Mum. This is the nuclear bomb of red mite treatments and very much for commercial use only (because of the price, but very cheap in reality). We have it stashed away for emergencies as I'm sure the French won't allow it.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2013, 05:01:31 pm »
Things are looking a little more under control here now although I feel completely 'diatomed' out.  Not sure how much longer I can go wandering around with a dust mask, rubber gloves, special coat and bucket any longer!  How much diatom can one person, never mind a hen take - I am afraid everyone is sneezing, OMD I have probably overdone it, yet it seems to have worked.   What is needed is something you can dip the chucks in rather than the difficult application of powder.  A couple are losing feathers and when I inspected them yesterday there were red mite on the feathers so were they on the bird in the first place or crawled onto in the coop?
I think it is the case of keeping on top of spraying and powder application, checking everyday for mite (although I am going to just use the barrier red mite powder on the hens next time) :chook:  Egg production is getting better - went up to 11 but down again now to about 7-8 a day so again I think it is a case of just checking every day.  I haven't tried the citronella spray recipe yet but it is on the list to try!  Funnily, when discussing the matter with the receptionist in the Vets, she told me she had used Domestos to clean the coop!  Not sure I'll try this.
 :raining:

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
Mites now seem to be under control, not millions anymore but tens which is good.  Diatom, mite powder every 4 days foe 3 weeks and spraying the hut and perches with mite spray.  the citronella mix for me, a total waste of time.  May work for someone else though.  Creosote one shed and the chucks moved into the other for the time being.  Got to be on the look-out all the time though, but no longer need the blow torch.   Feel quite smug now that l am finally winning, hope its not temporary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS