Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloated stomach  (Read 5007 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
bloated stomach
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
Hi
One of our girls seems to have a bloated stomach, when rubbed it does produce gas!! passing faeces urine and happy in herself. Can pigs get twisted guts like dogs? they were wormed with herbal wormer before we got then. (i haven't seen any signs of worms) feeding sow pencils and fruit and veg. any ideas??
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

Re: bloated stomach
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:23:00 pm »
Yes, I think pigs can get twisted guts - but if this was her problem I don't think she's be very happy at all !
More likely just a bit of wind, especially if she's peeing, pooing and eating normally. Has she had lots of cabbage or sprouts (the same things that give us wind will give pigs wind) Pigs should be wormed every 6 months, preferably with something that treats internal and external parasites - don't know if your herbal one would work for the external ones. Would be worth checking out, but it's not likely to be related to the bloated belly.
Keep an eye on her and if anything changes or she becomes distressed come back and tell us.
HTH
Karen

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »
Thanks Karen they did have cabbage yesterday!!

I know all about twisted gut in dogs.(this would be classed as a true emergency in veterinary medicine) She is very happy and behaving normally not presenting as a dog would with a twisted gut, Will be worming with Panacur  as not keen on herbal meds. I will also look into treatment for external parasites.

Thanks put my mind at rest

Jackie

blonde

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:27:07 am »
Ivermectin is a good one to worm with ,gets all the worms and lice and mange that you may khave as well.

Stockholm tar is a good one for when animals get bloat.   short of that a dose of oil will also fix the probleml

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
Thanks Blonde
Just looked up Stockholm tar seem to be used for horses hooves? not sure i would want to feed it to my girls.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »
Hi all, yes pigs do get Rectal Strictures(twisted gut) and it is not a nice way to go if they do as it is very painful, but (as stated) don't think your pig has this. Bran, middings or liquid paraffin will also have the same effect. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS