Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have been bitten by...  (Read 11741 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: I have been bitten by...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2021, 04:47:55 pm »
My dad's auntie's husband used to work at the Warsaw airport, in the immigration department in the early 1990s, this is where he got a Scottish Rough collie puppy - she came from pedigree stock bred by Russian police!

Some time later she had a litter - my grandmother took one, her sister another one. Sadly my mum wouldn't let us take one as well  :innocent:

We grew up with those dogs! Especially the one my grandmother had - she was the best dog ever! All the kids would play with her, and she never bit anyone!
...that didn't stop me keeping distance from most dogs though  ;D

I was once bitten by a ferret - she dint just want to scare me - she was trying to rip a chunk of my hand. I managed to free myself by putting her (with my hand) under a tap with running water. No more stinky ferrets.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:49:44 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2021, 04:50:59 pm »
Aged 9 or 10 on a paper round a jack russel came yapping down a really long garden just after i had gone through the gate.
Rather than turn back round ( i had a paper to deliver after all) i decided it was all bark and no bite but no..  no it wasn't..
I managed to swat it several times with the newspaper before it sank its teeth into my calf. 
The owner came out and called it back and made a big fuss about the bite etc
As i left i handed him the tattered newspaper rather than give him a fresh one.. haha
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 06:40:58 pm »
I was bitten in the face as a kid by a GSD and still bear the scar on my nose ( it wasn’t our GSD). I spent some time as a VN and therefore got nipped a few times, mostly by Westies who just must be itchy and tetchy. I was attacked in the street in Leith by an EBT and still have the scar on my hand.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 09:39:50 pm »
a pomeranian as a small child.  my fault and my collie when she hung herself up on a fence.  quick shout and she realised what she was doing and stopped.
as a rule i ignore collies when i first meet them, and never met a collie thats been nippy toward me

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 12:22:25 am »
Westies ? - would that be WHWTs by any chance ?  LOL  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 12:28:11 pm »
Westies ? - would that be WHWTs by any chance ?  LOL  :)
Wild Horrible Witless Terriers  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 05:58:33 pm »
Might be easier to list what I've not been bitten by... anyway, I have been bitten by:
 :horse: :horse: :horse: (several not just 3 - trying to work out if the worst was a mangled hand when I went to clear a choke from a Shitland being held by a very small child with no responsible adult attending - I had the child holding the tongue whilst I was trying to get the mangled mess of grass from it's throat and the kid let go - still got the scars on my thumb and forefinger and that's got to be close on 30 years ago; or my TB mare who skinned her leg after a firework incident and spent 12 months in bandages... she was a bit mental so the vets wouldn't get close enough to treat her... they'd stand at the outside passage and give helpful instructions whilst I bathed, treated and bandaged.  Anyway one day whatever I was doing hurt and she sank her teeth into my arse with such precision that you could pick out the individual teeth in the bruise a couple of days later)!
 :pig: (never let a child feed pigs!)
 :cat: (the worst being the latest kittens I took on; they'd been dumped in a dustbin at a few weeks old and were "a bit hissy"... so much so that one bit through a leather biker's glove and my thumb nail when I needed to pick it up)
 :goat: (ever tried force feeding or drenching one???)
 :dog: :dog: :dog: (various)
  • Greyhound, breaking up a fight as a teenager
  • Golden retriever, breaking up a fight as a teenager
  • various mongrels
  • various sheepdogs - mostly I was asking for it, but not always
  • friend's Alsatian - when I was about 10 - 100% my fault and I still have the scar below my eye to show for it
  • Bull lurcher - over exuberant on a walk with a friend and it twice came running at me jumped up and nipped my arm first near the wrist, then at the shoulder; 3rd time I was ready for it and as it leaped towards my face, I grabbed its legs threw it on the floor and pinned it there.  My former friend was not amused.  "It was just playing" apparently.  Someone else congratulated me on a great catch and wished they'd done that when it had nipped them.
  • my great grandmother's spiteful little pekingese when I was very little- they had similar temperaments!
  • WHWT - nippy little git used to go for the back of my calf
  • spaniel - now this one was nasty! Launched over a gate and got me right on the nipple - hurt like hell!
  • my lovely late NZ collie - he used to mouth my arm when he wanted to love me... never "bit" but always just mouthed me.  He used to "hold my hand" when we were walking down the road too!  Does that count?  Probably not!
I think you should wear armour when you see any animals coming
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 07:06:09 am »
When i was 15 I used to work on a game farm on a Saturday with my mate , ones we all went to another game farm to pick up some laying hens , they was a massive ridge back in a kennel,  my mate started teseing it saying he thinks its soft and all bark etc , anyway about 30 minutes later while we was catching hens up some one let the ridge back out , it made a bee line for my mate who jumped on to the shed roof screaming like a baby,  it was very amusing I remember my sides hurting from laughing so hard

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 02:21:22 pm »
Oh yes, cats. 

"Jacob bites everyone except me, and he bites me sometimes".  Loved him to pieces though.  :love::cat:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
In our younger days when we were cycling up Glen Clova with the children on the back, we saw a fox caught in a wire trap.  Poor thing had clearly been there for longer than is legal and had been trying to chew its leg off but fortunately had not gone too far. Mr F, who had boots on (we were hill walking too) went to the fox, gave it his boot to chew on instead (not a euphemism, he put his boot in front of it and it latched on) then released the wire and off it trotted with a backwards look (straight into a tree trunk  ::) ) We think it was OK, but Mr F did sustain a bitten finger which did not go septic but did leave a permanent scar.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 06:02:59 pm »
 :hug: for Mr F
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2021, 09:13:48 pm »
:hug: for Mr F

You wouldn't believe how proud he was of the scar on his finger  ::)  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 03:16:51 pm »
 Seems I've got away with it, pretty much, compared to others: 

Dogs - Just one Jack Russel (as far as I can recall) that always chased us as we came home from Cub Scouts on our bikes and finally got his teeth into my shoe (no injury) - I then reported to the village policeman (remember them) and he interviewed the owner but neither police nor owner did anything !  (I'd swear the JR's owner used to put him out in front garden mid-evening on Thursdays on purpose !)

Grey squirrel - Poor thing had obviously been stunned by vehicle contact, but not "squashed" in any way.  As I moved it to a safe place it came round and latched into a finger.  The only thing I could think to do was swing my arm around as fast as possible to see if circular motion (I was doing Physics A-Level at the time) would persuade it to let go - luckily it did decide to release its bite as opposed to being flung afar with a bit of my flesh between its teeth.

Carrion crow - There was a time when very young children were allowed to roam and during that time I came across an injured crow.  Not sure, this far on, how I managed to catch it, but it immediately gave me a rather painful bite.  I dropped it and it scampered away into nearby undergrowth.  If I'd been older and maybe with a gang of friends, I guess I would have tried to chase it back out and save it (and acquire a pet crow), but alas I didn't.  (I still feel bad about that !!)

Horses - None
Cats - None
Farm animals general - None
[Wasps - if insect stings count as bites, this is where I’ve been unlucky over my life-time. Too many instances to recount, but may I ask how/why a wasp once decided to crawl into my shoe and while I was wearing it and while Mr Keay was teaching us our "tables"!?]

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:21:17 pm by arobwk »

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2021, 02:59:24 pm »
My own much missed dog. Walking all 4 of them one night in October many moons ago and some plonker decided to set off a fire work. Fortunately I was wearing wellies but her border collie knashers went through them and into my leg! Went to the local hospital and they said I had to have a tetanus jab! Were rather surprised I couldn't remember receiving one at school! (I was in my late 20's. Long time ago!)

Jaspers!! Accidentally sat on one as I sat down in the tractor, shot up and out incredibly fast leaving tractor tootling along in low gear, fortunately! (I had felt a pain in butt, put my hand to rub, felt a pain on hand, looked and found wasp attached!!) NEEDLESS to say, when i approach tractor now, it's with squatter and doff powder!

Sheep nip, if overly keen on the tic tacs/sugar lumps and Juniper with the bread would wrap her tongue around hand, wanting to take fingers as well!

Animals, love them!
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2021, 03:46:24 pm »
Never been bitten by a dog, fortunately.
Cats yes, but usually in play by enthusiastic youngsters.
Pigs, yes but mainly just wellies/feet and not too badly. Always try to distract them with food if I need to go into the pen to do something else eg put more straw in ark or clean out water trough.
The worst bite I sustained was from a tetchy thoroughbred who I was grooming and hadn't tied up short enough. As I was doing his belly he whipped his head round and took hold of my back, teeth either side of my spine and just held on hard. I froze for a moment, not sure what to do as was terrified he might cause me serious damage, then whacked his belly hard close to his sheath (but not actually on it) with the curry comb and he let go. Never gave him a long rope again!
On another occasion the same damn horse decided to pin me against the stable wall when I went in to replace the haynet. Fortunately I wasn't kicked - he just backed into me and effectively held me against the wall for a few moments with his massive bum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS