Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injured lamb  (Read 2294 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Injured lamb
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:18:41 am »
Set of twins born 4 days early - perfectly ok but very, very tiny.  They were kept penned in the barn for 3 days and then had 2 days and nights outside. 
It turned really cold and wet last night so I penned them and mum in a field shelter, and there is a gate across the entrance.  When I let them out this morning they all shot out but I noticed the smallest lamb has dried blood down her back leg.  I can see she has two puncture holes right next to her tail but it is hard to judge because of the dried blood.  Culprit?  Rat, fox or something else?  :-\ She seems ok and is running well but all three have become really wary  and I have not been able to catch her again.  Mum will not even come near to feed - and she was hand tame.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Injured lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:35 am »
Something's frightened them, hasn't it  :-\ Seems unlikely a rat would have such an impact? Stoat, mink or as you say, fox?
If you can catch the little one, a squirt of the blue terramycin spray on the puncture wounds would be a good idea.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:45 am »
It's tipping down with rain  :&> but I'm donning the wet weather gear to try and tempt them into the barn again.  Why are the smallest ones always the quickest?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:38 am »
you penned them in so mum blames you for it       if it has been bitten you will need antibiotic for it :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:32 am »
I would do more than  a spray of terramycin as puncture holes are deep and can fester from the germs on a predators teeth, not reached by a surface spray.  I would say this is a situation where a long-acting antibiotic injection is in order.
The distance between the puncture marks should give a clue as to the culprit.
We have sometimes penned our sheep with new lambs in outdoor field shelters, but by barricading them in you are preventing them from escaping if attacked.  It's one of those difficult calls
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
Confirmed probably a fox bite.   >:(  A scrawny vixen was seen in the lamb field Sunday night (by a man with a gun - but she was too close to the ewes for a shot).  OH finally caught the little lamb which has a great turn of speed and she is dosed with Betamox. :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS