Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creosote  (Read 4428 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Creosote
« on: August 27, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »
Hi,
Just run out and of Creocote so I asked my wife to get a price from the local feed suppliers whilst collecting some food for the sheep.  Judie asked the guy if he had any Creosote under the counter to which he said that he did and we could buy it with the CPH number.  Creosote is about double the price of Creocote

Creocote 4litres for £9, 20 litres for £37
Creosote 25litres for £65

I'm wondering what others do and whether Creosote is worthwhile for treating the field shelters and sheds?

Mickey

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Creosote
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:33:42 pm »
Creosote kills red mite and other annoying beasties, we use it on all our chicken houses, I have heard that you can mix it with old engine oil to make it go further, in fact this is what pony club used to do for painting the cross country fences.
Anne

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:58:40 pm »
creosote goes further than creocote and well, it works-creocote ist nearly so good and useless against red mite.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »
http://www.creosotesales.co.uk/product-category/traditional-creosote/

Go here buy real creosote at less than the local agri merchant including delivery

Don't think about creocote its rubbish...

I have brought from them several times...

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
Coal tar creosote is still available , every time the proper carcinogenic tar based stuff that lasts and lasts only available to commercial users .
I wouldn't add  engine "oil" to it  bearing in mind your used engine lubricant may not be mineral oil . thin with white spirit if spraying ,only if you have to .
Bartoline  used to sell it the did a replacement thats not so good ,

Grant

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »
I use it to put down mole holes -they soon disappear , also good if you mark your perimeter fence posts  around your hen houses (foxes don't like it), I used to dip 8" pieces of old ratchet straps in it and tack it onto the bottom of fence posts.
There use to be a substance that smells very like creosote, which used to be used by gamekeepers, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called, but it's banned now.
G

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:27:25 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS