Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's best to plant post piggy?  (Read 1858 times)

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
What's best to plant post piggy?
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:20:36 pm »
I am about to liberate a small paddock from a batch of store pigs that will be taking their final trip. What I would love to do now is take back the area from earing pigs and turn it into a permanent veggie patch. After I have turned the soil is there anything that would cope with the rich soil best?

:farmer: :pig:

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

HappyHippy

Re: What's best to plant post piggy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:46 am »
Not roots - carrots, parsnips etc don't tend to do so well in freshly manured ground so avoid them  ;)

I always reckon you can't go wrong with tatties  :thumbsup: They grow in pretty much anything and break up the soil as they grow and as you harvest them.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:37 am »
Yes, agree with Karen, potatoes are the thing. We had our best ever crop of pink fir apple immediately after pigs one year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »
Yep - tatties  :thumbsup:   If that would mean that you will be overwhelmed with the things, then big brassicas would be fine too, once the soil has compacted a bit.  In fact most veggies will be fine if the pigs have been off the ground for a few months, but just as HH says no carrots, parsnips and so on which go mad with too much fresh manure.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »
Yep asgree with above ...also a bean crop, salads etc  Squashes love lots of manure (my friend grows hers on last years muck heap!)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »
Best cauliflowers I ever grew were after pigs.  If I said they were bigger than a football I would not be exaggerating, and wonderful flavour too.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:01:55 pm »
Tattie's and brassicas it is then! Just need to coral the chickens to stop them scratching out the seedlings and I'll be away!

Thanks for the advise everyone. :wave:
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS