Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese  (Read 4283 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Geese
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »
yea it just deciding where to put it as ducks are seperate they wouldnt get any food with those big pigs around lol so would be 2 small ones, will see if geese take notice of duck one first though before making a second one, lambs will go in a seperate paddock.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »
we are def planning to make one for ducks so will sort something where they can have ago to but will have to devise some sort of fencing as the geese graze with the sheep(and i know sheep dont swim lol)
'

I struggled a bit with geese and sheep sharing, cos the geese will (ESP with the lazy ram  I had) pull bits out their fleece until the skin was sore and they got fly struck on the wound :-(( maybe that's not common but I keep them separate now.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:14 am »
With ours, our geese free range so will often go where we are keeping sheep & we also keep ours at times including our rams  in the field the poultry are in & generally the geese don't bother, unless the sheep get too close & we see them eating stuff together like corns - But I have seen the gander peck, chase & even hang on to tups & calfs tails with the tup or calf running with him still hanging on, & he will randomly peck hard on a tups head until it moves or tries to headbutt him as their pretty docile & the tups will often walk up to you for a stroke or head scratch - more so when the girls are around ;D & when we had our spaniel she deliberately teased the geese & got chased by them, but our dogs at the moment have more sense  ;D 

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »
ours see ok at min the gander chases sheep away from girls but otherwise all seem quiet.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS