Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I go about selling my fleeces?  (Read 5390 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
How do I go about selling my fleeces?
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:03:32 pm »
I'm getting my ewes sheared soon, And will have a 12 fleeces and 6 will be shearlings so I believe they are worth abit more??

Where do I advertise for private sale and/or how do I sell to the British wool Board?

Does it matter if a few of the fleeces have marker sprays?

Thanks all!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How do I go about selling my fleeces?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:18:24 pm »
You'll get very little from the BWMB for those few, but by all means give them a call and discuss it.  They're generally very knowledgeable and very helpful.

What breed of sheep are they?  If you think they may be good enough for handspinners, you could contact your local Guild of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers. 

There's some cracking info, and good links to more good info (some of them back to posts here on TAS!) on the Woolsack website.

Whereabouts are you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:27:19 pm »
I only have 20 ish but sold to BWMB for the first time last year, and quite enjoyed it. I felt like a proper farmer!! Also cos they are Shetland I do get a few more pennies for each fleece. It all helps towards the shearing cost.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
They are Suffolk mules and a few texel cross lleyn. To sell to hand spinners does it matter if there are markers sprays?

I only have 20 ish but sold to BWMB for the first time last year, and quite enjoyed it. I felt like a proper farmer!! Also cos they are Shetland I do get a few more pennies for each fleece. It all helps towards the shearing cost.

Just how much did you get per fleece roughly?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
You get a tiny advance once they have the fleeces, and then the rest once all the wool has been auctioned through the year, tho they do give you an estimate.

I think from memory that I might be looking at about £40 for the 20 from last year NB with Shetlands, moorit brown ones pay twice as much as grey or mixed colours, and white ones are in between the two. You get a deduction for badly marked or dirty and daggy fleeces so there are separate rates for that and you get a grading sheet back - you just have to fold it up and sew it into the plastic wool sack they provide.

Less desirable wool from some other breeds can be half or less of the Shetland rate. generally wiry fleeced breeds don't get paid very much at all as its only useful for carpets and that's a small market these days and mostly covered by imports.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:17 pm »
To sell to hand spinners does it matter if there are markers sprays?

Marked wool is of no use to handspinners, so if you don't, they will remove it and throw it away or use it for compost etc.  The exception is raddled bottoms - that will wash out.  If your fleeces are very marked, they are probably not suitable for handspinners.  If you just have a spot here and a slash there, and they are otherwise nice fleeces, then it won't put handspinners off.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
You could try eBay or Preloved. I'm learning to spin (slowly!) And I've bought lots of different fleeces that way to learn with. I would guess I've paid more than the Wool board as well!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »
I've advertised on preloved and Will put some on Ebay. Thank you! :)

peter c

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »
if you selling tothe wool boardlet me know and i ll bring awool sack

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS