Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carsass transportation  (Read 2904 times)

TringSaint

• Joined Sep 2017
carsass transportation
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:17:21 am »
Hi,

I was wondering what the general consensus was as to the best method for transporting pigs from the abattoir for butchery / wholesale?

I currently use a deer carcass tray (which i also use for deer) because the meat is only for me and i only buy half a carcass at a time, but what would others recommend for full carcasses?

Chiller van with hanging set-up or large plastic dolav sacks to cover the carcass, or something else??

Cheers
Steve

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: carsass transportation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »
I use the inside of clean plastic feed sacks (split open) laid in the back of my land rover.
I wouldn't have thought a chiller van was necessary unless you're travelling for several hours, and even then I'd put some more plastic over them and pack with iced water bottles.
Surely the carcasses are chilled when you collect them from the abattoir?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:14:15 am »
quick quote from FSA stuff

EU Regulation 853/2004 (Annex III, Chapter VII) requires that post mortem inspection must be followed immediately by chilling in the slaughterhouse to ensure a temperature throughout the meat of no more of than 3°C for offal and 7°C for meat from domestic ungulates, i.e. cattle, pigs and sheep. These temperatures must also be maintained during storage and transport.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:03:23 am »
If you are going to sell your meat then when you talk to your LA about the requirements they will also be able to help you with transportation regs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:28:48 pm by harmony »

TringSaint

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »
thanks to all of you for your replies.

I was planning ion getting a fridge van in time, but kitting it up for hanging carcasses could be a real faff, hence was thinking that a dolav liner (huge plastic bag) to cover the carcass would work, as they could then be laid down in the back of the van as opposed to strung up.

Will check with the LA once we get a property - until then, i will continue to use my carcass tray whilst its all for personal consumption.

Cheers
Steve

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:48:30 pm »
we just lay carcasses in the chiller van, unless you get an ex-supermarket 3.5 tonner you likely wouldn't hang anything without hitting the floor anyway

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:41:35 pm »
I was at the abattoir last week collecting 2 pigs that had been butchered there so they were in bags but there was a woman collecting sides of beef and hanging them up in a horse trailer to transport them. Obviously it wasn't chilled.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »
I was at the abattoir last week collecting 2 pigs that had been butchered there so they were in bags but there was a woman collecting sides of beef and hanging them up in a horse trailer to transport them. Obviously it wasn't chilled.

mmmm, lovely!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS