Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Huge lambs  (Read 2906 times)

Tinam

• Joined Mar 2018
Huge lambs
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »
My cotswold ewe was put to a Zwartble and lambed yesterday. Both lambs were dead, the combined weight was 12  kilogrammes. We couldn't get the second one out and had to get the vet. He said she'd been giving all her 'food' to the lambs. Her sister lambed no problem on the same Zwartble. I would like to know why she did this, and if it will happen again. The vet took bloods a couple of weeks ago from three random in the flock and they were fine. Thank you

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Huge lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:13:29 pm »
Has she been fed as part of a group or individually? If as part of the group it could be she had more than her fair share. How much have they been fed and for how long before lambing ? Sometimes you get the odd set of big lambs for no apparent reason, like you also get a smaller than normal set of twins. I had a couple of sets this year that were on the small side likewise a couple of sets of twins needed a pull to get them out.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:40:32 am »
I listened to a online webinar from AHDB recently and it was said that there was no evidence that overfeeding caused big lambs or prolapses. Experience might tell people otherwise but without knowing all factors the evidence isn't scientifically based.

Body condition scoring was flagged as important so regularly assessing so poorer ewes got more food etc.

Feeding any animal can't be done by following the book. I have a Devon Closewool who has had very little food all winter, worried she was too fat and she had a pair of even sized twins and lambed herself fine. I have a Mule who has had extra food this winter for the first time.

Sometimes you never get the answers. I suspect Cotswold are like my Closewool, good doers and have a good coat keeping them warm.

Hope the others all lamb well for you.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »
This is why feeding is an art as well as a science.  That's an unusual cross of two large-framed sheep.  If you lamb her again I'd consider feeding her for a single if she's carrying twins and feeding a very small ration or nothing extra at all if a single.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:16 am »
... there was no evidence that overfeeding caused big lambs or prolapses.
Body condition scoring was flagged as important so regularly assessing so poorer ewes got more food etc

this sounds rather contradictory to me
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:34 am »
In what way Jukes Mum?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 12:27:52 pm »
Overfeeding when though?  Overfeeding through winter won't cause big lambs, but over feeding in the last ~6-weeks will.  Feeding has to be relative to the condition of the ewe - if she's already in good condition she needs much less additional feed.

What was your winter & pre-lambing feeding regime [member=176794]Tinam[/member] ?  And the condition score of the two ewes in question.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS