Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bleeding hen  (Read 2255 times)

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
bleeding hen
« on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
Hi there. I hope someone out there can help me. One of my hybrid hens has been laying eggs streaked with blood for a few days but did not seem otherwise bothered-eating and drinking well etc. My husband did the  girls this morning as I had to take my daughter to doctor, so I did not check them till late morning when I was horrified to find one girlie with blood on her rear end. I suspected at least one of the others of pecking her so I immediately removed her, gently washed her vent area and had a look. I cant see much if any of a prolapse, but on advice have cleaned her again and smeared haemorrhoid cream around the area. I put her in a separate ark with plenty of clean bedding. Just now I checked her again and she seems more comfortable, eating and drinking now, whereas this morning she seemed very shocked. Is there anything else I should be doing to make her more comfortable, please? I love all my sweet girlies to bits and want to make sure that I'm doing all I can!! Many thanks-Lin :(

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: bleeding hen
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:19 pm »
Could she be needing wormed?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:29 pm »
Oh dear, we have had exactly the same today.  We have cleaned and treated her tonight and put her to bed in a cat carrier in the summer house, away from the others.  We are hoping things improve for her tomorrow but it's horrible isn't it?

Our girl came from Little Hen Rescue a few days ago and this is common in ex-batts.  The rescue have some really good advice on their website which we have used.  You can find it here:

http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Donna

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »
Thanks for your replies! I'm new to this and need all the advice  I can get! I will certainly worm them asap as this can only be beneficial. My little girl is a lot happier today but I will keep her separate for a little while longer to make sure there is no blood to attract further pecking. Would it be an idea does anyone think to transfer her to another house with a cockerel and other hybrids? I don't want to confuse the issue but I had noticed that there seems to be less squabbling in the house containing Bubble the cockerel! Many thanks for all your help :thumbsup: -Lin

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:02:52 pm »
A cockerel is the best antidote for squabbling :-)

We had our hens for a couple of years before we decided to have a cockerel in and I must say that when we introduced some new hens recently there wasn't a tenth of the squabbling compared to when we introduced hens before he was on the scene.

He really keeps the flock together and it's great to see. He's a gent too and doesn't tread them too often and doesn't pick on one particular hen either.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
Thanks Susiequeue for your reply. I may well try her with Bubble the cockerel and his girls when she is better. I think part of the problem has been that she was in a house with 2 strong personalities and as she is a timid girl this made her an easy target. She's much better today and is eating and drinking well, so fingers crossed she has turned the corner :fc: . Best wishes and thanks!-Lin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS