Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloody fox  (Read 11544 times)

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
Re: Bloody fox
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:44 am »

We've a healthy population of foxes round here, and one or two of them use our driveway as a shortcut, but they never seem to come into the garden where the hens are kept. Someone suggested this is because we also keep a fe Kune Kunes and the smell from their poo puts the fox off.

Dunno if it's true.

my hubby is writing a list of 'pros' for getting a couple of kune kunes, he'll be delighted at that  :P

The fox got through the little wire mesh panel in an old chicken house we found on the farmyard when we moved in - with hind sight it would have been common sense to cover that up initially but we didn't think about it as the family who lived here before used it for years with no problems.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:53:51 am »
my hubby is writing a list of 'pros' for getting a couple of kune kunes, he'll be delighted at that  :P
Oh you should! Our Kunes are lovely.

gem

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:04 am »
if anyone needs lads to come out and shoot their fox problems put a topic up on this site; http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/
and you should have no bother finding lads to help you out, an offer of fresh produce would help  ;)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:32 am »
Oh what a bummer - so sorry.   Its absolutely horrible to find something like that.

Our problem isn't a fox - its a b****y Mink  :o :o :o
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

gem

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:46 am »
mink trap covered with dead grass baited with raw chicken carcass, rabbit carcass or fish heads

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:17 am »
mink trap covered with dead grass baited with raw chicken carcass, rabbit carcass or fish heads

We tried that and the bloomin thing just kept skirting around it   :-\
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

We tried that and the bloomin thing just kept skirting around it   :-\

Yup, us too.  We were told to use a really cheap fish-based cat food, but still no joy.

There is a pack of minkhounds we know of, but sadly as we are right on the tourist trail, we dare not...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

gem

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:12 am »
you might be able to find omeone on that link i posted who hunts mink with their terriers, you'd have to lock the chooks away while the terriers were about though

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 05:55:13 pm »
We have had a visit from the fox over the last week, he has been taking a bird every other day, well sunday was his last meal!!!!!!

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:22 am »
We collected some tiger and cheetah poo from the nearby zoo yesterday, was quite disappointed when we got there as we were told that we would have a weeks worth of poo to collect, not knowing how much tigers poo we were expecting quite a bit, but we were presented with a tesco bag.  Apparently they don't poo much!  

Anyway when we got home, we thought we would let the dogs have a sniff, just to test it.  Our Newfy spent an hour barking and growling at the bag whilst keeping a distance from it, and the collie hid.  We reckon thats a pretty good sign that it will help keep the fox away!!   :o   ;D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
That sounds promising  ;)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 11:49:57 am »
thats really interesting, fingers crossed it works for you,

We have a regular badger that visits our gardens, up to now he is just eating any left over wild bird food or layers pellets, but last night the cheeky wee monkey nicked my fatball holder and the contents, the holder is nowhere to be seen so im now looking ofr a badger with a fatball holder attached to its head ??? :wave:

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
thats really interesting, fingers crossed it works for you,

We have a regular badger that visits our gardens, up to now he is just eating any left over wild bird food or layers pellets, but last night the cheeky wee monkey nicked my fatball holder and the contents, the holder is nowhere to be seen so im now looking ofr a badger with a fatball holder attached to its head ??? :wave:

If you find said badger that would be worth a photo!!   ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »
I have looked all over the back field and the holder is nowhere to be seen, ITS A COMPLETE MYSTERY, blinking thing  :wave:

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 08:51:14 am »
I like the predator poo idea, surely they should market that !!!
 keep us informed i may have to get some x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS