Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blood in eggs  (Read 3634 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
blood in eggs
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »
One of our ducks gave us an egg today which had quite a bit of blood on the outside of the yolk - does anyone know why this is and if it is a reason for concern?
I have also occasionally had a grey lump on the outside of the yolk (which I  removed before cooking), I have no idea why this is either.
Any experience shared would be appreciated!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: blood in eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:44:04 pm »
on other forums mention that its just straining during laying, others have cleared up after a while, usually affects young birds, very large egg layers, has she just started laying?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:52:46 pm »
I think the egg was from one of our 2-year-olds. We do have one autumn duckling- my husband and me have a bet outstanding if it's a duck or a drake, we've found/observed no conclusive evidence either way yet. That would be great news...
Stupid question, though: how would blood get inside the shell, if it's caused by straining during the lay? I'll have a look if I can find the other topics, thanks for mentioning that!

Hardfeather

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:57 pm »
'Bloodspots' are quite common in eggs and will do no harm if the egg is eaten, nor do they affect fertility in my experience. I have no idea what causes them, though.

cluckers

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:30:40 pm »
We have had several eggs with blood in which can occasionally be found on an egg yolk and is nothing to worry about.
They are also called meat spots. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:15 am »
Hello- pretty much the same advice as others -my ex says it may be because they are new layers or  it might be mites that when thee egg is popping out the mites are getting squashed hence the  spotting- she said is  more  anewlayer more than anything else

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:20:44 pm »
We have the same from time to time. I agree that it is most likely as a result of straining during laying. As long as you don't have this all the time I don't think it is too much to worry about.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS