Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clocks changing - who changes their timer on the auto pop hole ?  (Read 4953 times)

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
2 years ago, we invested in an auto pop hole opener and closer on a timer
It has been lifechanging both for us and the hens

CLocks are changing soon, I am told. Does anyone with such a device change the time setting ?

I certainly don't. The hens don't know what time it is

It's a reminder that the whole idea of daylight saving stuff is rubbish and we should stop the nonsense. The EU voted, a few years ago, that they didn't have to do it, but I don't think any member state has not bothered yet.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Clocks changing - who changes their timer on the auto pop hole ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 05:26:02 pm »
2 years ago, we invested in an auto pop hole opener and closer on a timer
It has been lifechanging both for us and the hens

CLocks are changing soon, I am told. Does anyone with such a device change the time setting ?

I certainly don't. The hens don't know what time it is

It's a reminder that the whole idea of daylight saving stuff is rubbish and we should stop the nonsense. The EU voted, a few years ago, that they didn't have to do it, but I don't think any member state has not bothered yet.
Exactly all they know as all animals it gets light then it gets dark.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 05:39:40 pm »
The EU voted in favour of NOT changing the clocks to Summer/Winter times any more because it only saves 0.07% electricity consumption, due to the new light bulbs. But ALL member States have to agree on which time they want to keep..............and they can't agree!

I think you don't need to change the settings, so long as you don't change the clock time. Makes no difference to me as I rise to suit the chickens. The only pain is all the TV programmes are an hour out as a result and so are the shop opening hours.

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 06:02:06 pm »
All member states have the option to change or not change, it wasn't an all or nothing agreement

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 10:59:54 pm »
We don't use a pop hole timer and never have.
A few weeks ago a chicken rocked up at our gate, bright red comb so we called him Cockaleekie, but when he failed to start crowing and didn't boss the other hens around we called her Notacockie.  Anyway, Notacockie has chosen her place to sleep on the canvas roof of my Series 1 Landrover, so every night, once it's dark, she has to be carried down to the hen house for her own safety.  If we relied on an auto pophole closer she would have been taken by the weasel or stoat or fox by now.  The hens all know to go to bed just before it gets dark; the geese go to bed when we tell them to, so we've not had a need for an automated option.  This was just an excuse to tell you about Notacockie  :hughen:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS