Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tree protector from livestock?  (Read 6354 times)

Farmboss64

• Joined May 2021
Tree protector from livestock?
« on: May 25, 2021, 01:49:49 am »
Anyone have any ideas of what to put around my one yr old trees so my livestock don’t eat them

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tree protector from livestock?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 09:09:56 am »
Cage 1m+ across.  Fence post in each corner, stock fence around.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 11:18:18 am »
We fence off the whole area we have planted up with new trees except for one copper beech - that is right in the middle of a pasture and ultimately will provide shelter for sheep to lie under. While it's establishing we have built a hexagonal 'pen' for it, 11 or 12 feet across, with a top rail, round stobs and sheep mesh.  This might seem excessive, but sheep can stretch a remarkably long way over the top of a fence  to rip off leaves, standing on their back legs and shoving hard.  It also provides space to plant wildflowers around the base.  Having lost trees in the past to both sheep and cattle (as well as rabbits, hares and voles) we would rather err on the side of wider separation than risk losing expensive plants.

You don't mention [member=212417]Farmboss64[/member] what livestock you have, nor how many trees, and whether the trees are within a grazing area or alongside one. That information would help us provide an appropriate answer.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 04:54:27 pm »
People here usually use plastic drain tile cut into 2 ft lengths and split down one side. It keeps beavers from chewing on trees. If it's to keep off livestock, it'd have to be longer.
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

Farmboss64

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 05:33:15 pm »
I have sheep trees are in grazing area 20 of them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 12:09:01 am »
I have sheep trees are in grazing area 20 of them

In that case, making hexagons as we have done would take a lot of the pasture area, so I suggest you make your shelters as big as you can, as Sally's suggestion, and as tall as you can, 5-6 feet. The sheep will still chew off the lower branches as the trees grow beyond and hanging over the protection, giving that parkland look!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS