Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dilema  (Read 6613 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Dilema
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 05:14:36 pm »
The ducks have spent all day out on the river and came back a wee while ago for their dinner. I only counted 13, should be 14 so feared the worst. So, I got them all in  their enclosure and went looking for missing duck. Went along the river embankment and after only seconds heard the quacking of a distressed duck. There she was in amongst the long weeds and nettles - her leg tightly stuck, it had been wrapped around by grass. No idea what had happened but she was stuck solid. After 10 minutes of cutting the grass away she was free but when I put her down she was unable to walk as all the blood would have been stopped while she was trapped. She is now limping a bit but otherwise fine and panic over.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 05:51:31 pm »
That is just so lovely

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 08:58:03 am »
Let them out this morning and she is still limping quite a bit. However as soon as she saw me open the gate which means they can get out on to the river she was off like a shot. It's just a good job that she started quacking when we were looking or we would never have found her in all that over grown grass. Kenny went over the fence with the strimmer last night so there is no chance of this re happening.

sandy

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 09:14:34 am »
That is a good job you heard her, you get to know th difference sounds they make and when they are distressed it is quite a different quack!!  since having Lilly and Charlie I see Ducks differently, they are very endearing... :)

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:37 am »
Hi Jameslindsay

I keep poultry and pigs amoungst other animals and from time to time have a fox problem (even though I keep pigs -OH never!).
The only way to get rid of the problem is to get rid of the Fox as even if you have not seen it for a couple of weeks the Fox will still be there Just waiting for the chance to come and clear you out of all poultry.
You can as Doganjo said use a live cage trap to catch the Fox and then you could either call your Game keeping friends on some one like the R.S.P.C.A who might come and take the fox and release it some where else.
The only problem with the later is you are only moving the problem to someone elses doorstep.
As for lion poo I am quiet sure that you won't be able to get this anywhere any more as most Zoo will NOT let this or any waste out of there premises as it could cause serious problems with the spread of Disease and they are not willing to chance this any more.
The other sollution is to get a gun yourself and take care of this and future problems yourself But Please before embarking on this adventure go and get some Professional Advice on firearm safety.
Kind regards
Joe

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »
They have now been out for a week and no sign of the fox. The duck that got her leg trapped in the grass does, for some reason, tend to stay on land herslef. She mainly sits at the gate and seems happy enough to wait for the others to return and when she fancies a swim shge does go onto  the river. I think she has just had a fright.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS