Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: back from my holiday  (Read 4329 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
back from my holiday
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:31:05 pm »
camping in the limousin, what a great week, no rain and temps in the 30's

great cheap wine and food.

came back to a greenhouse full of purple and red chillis, loads of rasps, boysenberries, a few blackberries too. abd i've a load of garlic all nicely dried out and ready to be hung up

the workman also finished my stables when i was away, so the whole place looks grand

what have i been missing here????

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: back from my holiday
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:47:29 pm »
Not a lot! ;) ;D  How's the grass?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »
Wow hope all that will keep the holiday blues at bay!

My news is as follows:-

The bad - my pigs were poorly and are now OK, my cat has an abcess on his head, a dog killed my son's favorite chicken and one of the hens has a very swollen eye!

The good - my son had a brill time at his birthday party yesterday.  Next week we are off to Scotland to see my Mum and are all taking our bikes for the first time as both boys are off their stabilizers - yipeee!  Hot weather, bike rides, swimming in the Dee followed by hot chocolate and Rich Tea biscuits - Perfect!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:30:23 pm »
Rich Tea?

Why not wonderful shortbread ?

Forget the diet - go for it girl ;D ;D ;D ;D

Julie

PS Glad the pigs are improving

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »
I've been very naughty!  I bought a packet of Thornton's mini caramel shortcakes!  And I've had two already.  That's as well as the extra thick double cream to go with my red jelly and berry and ice cream after dinner - wonder what I can have for dinner?  Had a late lunch due to collecting my new hens so not terribly hungry as yet.  Will feed the dogs and chooks first and see how I feel after that - maybe a nice sausage and mash casserole yummy yummy ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:53:14 pm »
Joe is totally addicted to Thorntons Butter Tablet !

No wonder he has a figure like the Michelin Man ;D ;D ;D

(brings back memories of when dad had the garage and we gave away mitchelin men key rings - and BP flame logo keyrings - those were the days, the smell of engine oil on Daddy's overalls when he hugged you ::))

Don't know what my excuse is forbeing mrs michelin man though doh  :'(

Julie

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:59:04 pm »
Just remembered why I am Mrs Michelin Man

Free Range Pork and Bacon   :yum: :yum:
Mayonaise  :yum: :yum:
Cheese and Cheese and Cheese  :yum: :yum:
Pork Pies   :yum: :yum:  Branston Pickle (homemade)
and HP sauce ( need a recipe for my own HP has to be as good as the original - anyone got one!)

(Not a sweet tooth - love savoury though)

Julie ;D ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:42:04 pm »
both my daughters bought me bars of chocolate as a treat at the Big Tent yesterday (Laura's choc, highly overpriced!) - we had some with the afternoon movie and I did actually feel unwell after. My gallbladder or my pancreas are not up to milk chocs anymore! I hate ageing, getting blind as a mole (feels like it), too!  :'(

But how on earth did this thread get to this point - stop turning everything to food, you lot!!  ;D - I meant to welcome Chris back from his holiday! I'm sure you will catch up with weeding, harvesting and all the TAS action soon  ;D

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:51 pm »
the bad news - tatties have all got blight, not too bad yet, but they'll all be getting lifted in the morning.  i suppose they've had 18 weeks in so they should have been up about now anyway.

still, it's a pain in the butt!!!

i've also got to lift the onions and shallots tomorrow - they are all ready and i'm not sure the ongoing dampness of the scotish summer is helping them at all

the strawbs - after an initial impressive burst have borne no more fruit. I'm wondering if the pots i have them in are too wee. they are 15 litre pots per plant so SHOULD have been ok, but not to worry, i'm moving their plastic greenhouse in a few weeks and they'll be going into a proper bed in their new home. so no excuses for them net year. Also, if anyone wants any strawb plants, let me know as i'll be starting to pot up the runners in a few weeks (i have 45 plants, so will take 45 runners - giving me MORE than i'll be needing next year)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:50:04 pm »
Chris, try only lifting a few to see how bad the actual damage is. The leaves I left are not looking nice, but on the tubers the only ones affected seem to be the original seed potatoes. Had you cut the foliage earlier? I found that mine are keeping growing healthy green leaves after that now. 
Straws seem to be near their end here, too. The fruit we are getting are smaller and smaller...:&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:33 pm »
yeah, think i'll just cut the tops of the pots and lift a row to see how they are

last year the blight struck when i was on holiday, but it was a 2 week holiday so was much worse by the time i got back. this time it doesn't look half as bad. so i'll have a root around and see how we go.

if you want some new strawb plants  :&> just yell!

sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 10:25:49 pm »
Food Food, I love it but if only they could design something like a tablet that takes away all those callories!!!!! Sod it, enjoy the food and enjoy life...I do.......a good meal...good drink and good company...what else do you need?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:58 am »
I lost loads of weight when we came here, put  most of it back on since we have raised our own pork.  I think its the ultra delicious fat on them.  Or perhaps I just sit too long cuddling the sows, watching the babies, talking to the boar. 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:10 pm »
Chris, how are your peppers (from home dried seeds)?  :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:16:44 am »
several large green peppers, but i prefer orange or red, so i'm sitting here waiting!!!!

had my first chilli last night - a hot cherry, gorgeous looking thing, but not much heat in it  >:(

still, several different varieties are all just ripening just now. Most impressed with my purple fiestas and the british red chrries i got from sainburys.

will soon be starting the process of saving and drying them all over again :-)

gonna sow some indoors under lamps around november time, let them get a real good start and now the stables has a conservatory on the end, they'll get plenty of natural light in there too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS