Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mating milkers  (Read 7453 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Mating milkers
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:11:52 pm »
Do milking goats come in season while still being milked and how is that different from still feeding the kids?

I want to put two of mine back to the buck this year.  I'm milking in the morning, the kids are 4 and 5 months old and had been with their mums during the day.  I've got a visiting buck here since the beginning of October and thought the smell of him would bring them on.  Not much was happening so for three days now I've put the nannies in the field with him in the daytime and just let the kids have a suck before bedtime to ease their udders.  One of the local farmers said they won't come on while they're still suckling kids.

Advise please.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Mating milkers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »
Yes they still come into season even if they are milking, I have actualy put 3 of our milkers back to the billy this week, they where all milking through infact 1 had not kidded for 2 years
As for when they are feeding kids  I cant answer that as we hand rear all of our kids
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:38:02 pm by sokel »
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »
I think it does delay seasons but it doesn't stop them. That said, even if the billy being around 'starts the cycle', the cycle is 17-18 days long so they may not be interested in the billy until the middle.

I've got mine on the same regime as yours except the kids have just got to their new homes.

My goats are very vocal when in season and would normally have had one by now - and they haven't. I'm hoping they get going soon. That said, I milked Ellie last year and she did eventually come into season but I remember having the conversation with my neighbour about worrying she wouldn't.......

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:13:43 pm »
Yes, 2/3 of my milkers are just coming  into season, even when they still are with their kids (6 mths old), at least mine have.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:30:31 pm »
Both of ours (one feeding her kid, one giving us milk) have come back into season. noisily. Sadly Puffin thinks the rams 2 fields away, but in her eyeline are potential suitors. Its been a long weekend...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:45 pm »
Oh dear  :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »
Oh dear  :D

Indeed. She is still stood out there now in the freezing cold and rain "Mehhhhhh, mehhhhhhhh, mehhhhh" tail going ten to the dozen.  Neighbours are going to be a tad fed up methinks.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »
I've warned my new neighbours that they will hear mine all day when it happens, and that nothing is wrong. I think them being half-a-mile away will help though  :goat:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »
Thank you for all the replies, looks like I'll just have to be patient then. 

This time last year I only had a few chickens and had just had my first pork back.  Now I've got chickens, ducks, geese, 3milking nannies and their 5 kids, 1 long term visitor nanny, 5 angora nannies and a hired in buck.  Two sheep went to the abattoir last Monday and 2 pigs go tomorrow.

It's been a steep learning curve this year and my brain aches!!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:48:27 pm »
having still got the kids on could delay them coming in heat, if your intending puting them in kid maybe a good time to take them away it will help keep the milkers in condition ready for the new kidding.

there is always the chance of silent heat with goats much harder to detect.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »
there is always the chance of silent heat
who has these silent goats then? Not me or Plums by the sound of it  :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:09:22 pm »
Pom is pretty quiet and lasts for less than 24 hours so is easy to miss.  I don't think she's been in this year. Her mum on the other hand, lasted for two days, tried to climb the fence and get through a tiny window appeture while bellowing, "Maaaaaaaaaan, maaaaaaaaan.  I want a maaaaaaaaan." all day and most of the night.  Just as well the neighbours had their windows shut.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:37 pm »
Last year one was very obvious parading around the field, shouting, flagging her tail and eyeing up the rams next door. One had to be watched very carefully, she's a very reserved young lady, you know.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:18:04 pm »
Our lot where going mad last week, out of the 7 nannies 5 where in season and the other 2 are in at the moment . They start shouting at first light and dont shut up untill well after dark then when the dogs go outside the floodlights come on and they start shouting again.
I think its worse this year because we have the billy here  :-\
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:22:17 pm »
there is always the chance of silent heat
who has these silent goats then? Not me or Plums by the sound of it  :D

not all goats show the typical signs some have silent heats which prove tricky to catch unless you run the male with the female.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS