Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am loving the research...  (Read 8709 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: I am loving the research...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »
thats us all over MAK..we gave up ages ago with plans..what will be will be ... we don't need the big house, we just need a little two bedroom place... the most important thing for us is rearing the animals with affection and then eating them.... learning to grow are own veg... and eating them...as you guessed i like eating  :roflanim:

the building will hopefully be my real challenge..i have done a bit..but no expert..so its a new learning curve..and it will take as longs as it takes

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »
the one thing i forgot to add was..a few years ago..everyone would have done this alone..now we all have forums etc etc and can get help with the odd problem in no time

forums like this create an extended family/friend type thing.... and everyone will ride the ups and downs together

some of the offers of help and tuition from members on here have been fantastic..long may that live

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:32 pm »
Best of luck with your search. If I can help at all with advice, just send me a message.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:02 pm »
Thanks Tudful

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 07:02:44 am »
Agree with all the above, especially the references to forums...although there are so many it can get confusing but, when you find a good one, such as here, you tend to stick around.

I am presently in the wind-down stages of current work life. As others have mentioned project meetings I thought I would let you all know I have one in 2 hours time, then some solaris upgrades and, well, "stuff I willnae bore you with". But The Wife and home and cats and wee dram o land await me on Skye. 2 Months to go then pack the car, head back over the channel and home ad infinitum :excited: .

Good luck John and Helen (and everyone else at this new and exciting stage)
Rgds
Sskye

Rgds
Sskye

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:36 am »
The best bit is after the exhausting packing up etc when you either get in a car (or in my case on a sleeper train) and realise that you are really going and you never have to go back! It's an amazing feeling that you never ever forget

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:32 am »

i just hope the locals can except a couple of yokals from devon  ;D
We moved to Carmarthenshire from Hampshire a bit over a year ago now and we have found the local farmers very helpful. In fact everyone seems to be nice.  There are also lots of English people around too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »

i just hope the locals can except a couple of yokals from devon  ;D
We moved to Carmarthenshire from Hampshire a bit over a year ago now and we have found the local farmers very helpful. In fact everyone seems to be nice.  There are also lots of English people around too.

we use to live in hampshire before moving back to Devon , i have no worries about the locals ..we have so many friends over there  :excited: i often fish with the south wales kayak fishing club... either at towyn or oxwich..

and next month we are up in clewdeddog (spelling) doing out annual disability day..love the place

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 12:11:53 am »
We used google maps  to get a visual lie of the land both as an OS map and a colour picture when we purchased this place
 It didn't take me long to realize that some sites I'd become interested in were going to get ripped to bits in bad weather from the Southwest.or North
 It too a while using them and the estate agents etc to find the place we liked that has some protective  hills to the west north and east and gives us a decent level of sunshine on the gardens etc.
 Google Earth is also useful for looking around your proposed locality as it's cheaper & safer than running a car all over the place ( lets you find the pub as well  ;D )
 :roflanim:  Apparently Welsh drivers  taught those in your area how not to drive .  :innocent:
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:31:00 am »
Good luck and you can get warm wellies now you know  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:14 am »
When we bought our place OH had never even put in a fence post ! Now he can turn his hand to just about everything we need doing. Even put a new roof on the hay barn, fixed our old tractor, made a sprayer , done a bit of lambing, butchered the pigs. he loves our life and he was a townie ! Best of luck to you  :thumbsup:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:56 pm »
bad news for us I'm afraid. The bank wont lend us as much as we need which is very frustrating as it apparently purely due to us having a personal loan (our only financial commitment). if we didnt have our 6k loan they would lend us 40k more! so frustrating but we have learnt alot.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 05:15:27 pm »
Oh clarebelle, thats such a shame. What do you do now, look for a cheaper property?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »
Banks Grrrrr..so sorry to hear that clarebell..yet another hurdle..but its only a hurdle.... don't let them beat you...

thats the one thing i will do when the french money arrives..pay off every debt... the house can take as long as it takes..we can caravan it for a while

keep thinking..something will come to mind

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Clarebelle. Can you possibly increase the loan you have.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS