Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rayburn solid fuel  (Read 7426 times)

Sarahmilway

• Joined Oct 2022
Rayburn solid fuel
« on: October 08, 2022, 12:02:27 pm »
Hi
I’m considering a rayburn or Stanley solid fuel cooker to heat and cook in my kitchen. I have supply of wood and would use anthracite at times also. I don’t need a boiler so just for cooking.
Does anyone have recommendations for which model I should go for and also any I have seen advertised they seem to come with a boiler, are they easy enough to remove? Any difference in Stanley/rayburn as both seem to be multi fuel? Thanks for any advice. At the stage of pricing for a flue to be installed in my kitchen which is costly!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rayburn solid fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 12:59:17 am »
A Rayburn is a boiler which cooks.  So personally I wouldn't be looking at a Rayburn if I was wanting to "remove the boiler". 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 02:37:02 am »
We have a rayburn royal SF.
I don't think they do one without a boiler, I suppose it's sort of a heat dump, but think twice before dismissing, 'free' hot water, and a small radiator upstairs. With price of electric and gas, i don't know how we would manage without ours, at least we have a warm kitchen and can cook.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 02:49:28 pm »
I used to have a Stanley but like the Rayburn they are designed to do water for heating ect.  I loved mine but the OH signed its death warrent one night while I was out.  He filled it with anthracite which burned too hot and a emitted gas which ignited with a boom and blew the hotplates off across the room.  Every orifice was warped after that and smoke leaking out and rocking doors and hotplates could not be lived with.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 06:28:22 pm »
I would be wary of using anthracite.Not very climate friendly...dirty /nasty to use (gloves needed)and very expensive.
I managed to set fire to my chimney when my OH neglected to close the ash pan one evening and we had a furnace.Also during a power cuth(electric pump) air got trapped in the pipes.
A lot of work.....I now use electric to cook...solar panels for hot water..oil for heating and woodburners occasionally.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 06:46:42 pm »
[member=75709]Buttermilk[/member] that sounds spectacular (and lethal)  :tired:

When we found that an AGA wasn't going to fit into our kitchen a few years back, we looked at some Scandinavian wood burner cookers. Some looked really good and no boiler. That was then so I don't know what the situation is now, but worth investigating?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 11:40:23 pm »
FW, i seem to have the name Jotul in my head, they made a sort of long log burner that you could but longer logs in, looked tempting, cant see them advertised now.

I wish the rayburn had a glass door, I love to see the flames, but can't leave the door open very long  :( . Also might stop husband keep opening it to check fire and banging door closed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 11:20:53 am »
Wood Burning Cooking Stove Cast Iron Top 9.5KW Oven 7 new line in beige uk best

Log Burner Cooking Stove With Oven 8Kw Wood burning stove Kitchen Stove New Zvezda

I found both of these on Ebay, there may well be more.  Searched for log burning cooking stoves.  Sorry, my mouse is refusing to let me copy links today.

Or there's this, the cutest little stove you ever did see:
www.amazon.co.uk/Pipsqueak-Stove-Co-Cast-Iron/dp/B06XGHNXBD/ref=sr_1_32?adgrpid=1187473456978782&hvadid=74217291598074&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocint=113903&hvlocphy=41011&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-7
Not what you're looking for I'm sure but I just love it  :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 11:37:02 am by Fleecewife »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 08:08:32 pm »
Wood Burning Cooking Stove Cast Iron Top 9.5KW Oven 7 new line in beige uk best

Log Burner Cooking Stove With Oven 8Kw Wood burning stove Kitchen Stove New Zvezda

I found both of these on Ebay, there may well be more.  Searched for log burning cooking stoves.  Sorry, my mouse is refusing to let me copy links today.

Or there's this, the cutest little stove you ever did see:
www.amazon.co.uk/Pipsqueak-Stove-Co-Cast-Iron/dp/B06XGHNXBD/ref=sr_1_32?adgrpid=1187473456978782&hvadid=74217291598074&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocint=113903&hvlocphy=41011&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-7
Not what you're looking for I'm sure but I just love it  :D
Did you read any of the  comments?
"Be careful, seller says you can install this without the bottom hearth but in reality you cannot. The 4 walls of the stove is held in place only because of the hearth.

Ideal for coal burning, if you need to burn wood its tool small to put any decent size log in. Air vents control doesn’t really work. You have to slid the ash tray a bit out. That is the only way I found you can control any air.

If you have space to install I would recommend going for the 5kw stove easily available on ebay for same price. You can always burn more or less depending on the temperature needed.
All in all its alright. I wouldn’t buy it knowing what i know now."
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 08:16:27 pm »
I did read the comments, yes.  I included that one for fun, knowing it's not what the OP is looking for.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58:02 am »
We have a solid fuel rayburn. It heats the water, two radiators and of course you can cook on/in it. Depending on the time of year and the weather we don't always keep it in 24/7. At the moment I light during the day and let it out over night as it is so mild. In summer I might just light it long enough to heat the water. We burn smokeless fuel (we call them duck eggs and the coal merchant calls them cosy fuel) and we use some wood. We can adjust the air flow below the fire by opening and closing the vent. We can also open and close the chimney flow by a sliding plate. If we were going to be out or over night we shut it down so it stays in but ticks over and when we get in open it up again.

My other half is like yours Buttermilk. Can't be trusted to shut the bottom! We haven't had the plates blow off though. I'd say I'm much more in tune with Rayburn and the weather than he is, as of course, the wind greatly affects the draw.

I think you either love them or hate them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »
Harmony, I love my rayburn, husband doesn't, because he leaves the top damper open, and it's the rayburns fault !
One night he had the chimney on fire, the flue box was literally glowing, he went to bed, I stayed up until dawn till I felt safe to leave it. (Read my first Harry Potter book overnight) Luckily he pot lined the flue backed with vermiculite filling/cement?, but still scary when it whooshes up.
A friend has an Aga, has to fill it from the top. I prefer my 'poor man's aga', big clumsy things 🤣

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 06:24:10 pm »
I worry about carbon monoxide poisoning (which I've had twice and it's horrible), so opening any solid fuel appliance to fill it means opening a window first. We have a great solution here- oil boiler outside in the garage and for cooking we have a gas hob (with a big extractor fan) and the bottle for that is also in the garage. We do burn wood, but they advise here if you do to open all your windows and outside doors for 10 minutes every day to clear out the carbon monoxide. These solid fuel units can leak carbon monoxide and the alarms we bought go off above my personal tolerance limit. Worth noting is that the more efficient your burner is, the more carbon monoxide it gives out, so airing the room becomes very important. I certainly wouldn't have a solid fuel cooker in the enclosed space of a kitchen, even if the wood was free.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 07:48:58 pm »
Harmony, I love my rayburn, husband doesn't, because he leaves the top damper open, and it's the rayburns fault !
One night he had the chimney on fire, the flue box was literally glowing, he went to bed, I stayed up until dawn till I felt safe to leave it. (Read my first Harry Potter book overnight) Luckily he pot lined the flue backed with vermiculite filling/cement?, but still scary when it whooshes up.
A friend has an Aga, has to fill it from the top. I prefer my 'poor man's aga', big clumsy things 🤣
[/quot

I would be up all night too Penninehillbilly.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 08:02:55 pm »
Chris, we've run our rayburn for over 30years now, while we very rarely keep it running more than evening to early hours, it's never been a problem, vented straight to the flue, and because the damper is opened before the door is opened, there is no blockage there, with a mirror we can look straight up the flue, daylight at top, we know its clear. If it doesn't light easily, we check/sweep flue.
Oven vents into the flue as well, so no cooking smells either.

As its nearly always windy here, it's more of a job stopping the heat being pulled out with any fumes! :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS