Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 206900 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: bird flu
« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:31 am »
With regard to the domestic flock in Wales, it would be useful for all poultry keepers to have some idea of how those birds were being housed and if there is a suggested way that infection occurred. Many poultry keepers have responded to the DEFRA directive, but is it actually an effective way to protect our flocks from infection?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2017, 09:12:56 am »
Most of the cases found in wild birds have been waterfowl (apart from the Peregrine Falcon in Scotland).  Does this mean smaller birds aren't as susceptible, or that when they die they're likely to be eaten by a fox, badger or carrion crows, whereas a larger bird is more likely to be spotted and picked up by a human, especially if it's floating on a lake somewhere?  I have a resident flock of sparrows living in the barns - if I find a dead one I won't know why it died so it could be in the resident birds and I wouldn't know about it.  It must be absolute hell for the folks with big commercial flocks that are normally free range.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:05 am »
Most of the cases found in wild birds have been waterfowl (apart from the Peregrine Falcon in Scotland).  Does this mean smaller birds aren't as susceptible, or that when they die they're likely to be eaten by a fox, badger or carrion crows, whereas a larger bird is more likely to be spotted and picked up by a human, especially if it's floating on a lake somewhere?  I have a resident flock of sparrows living in the barns - if I find a dead one I won't know why it died so it could be in the resident birds and I wouldn't know about it.  It must be absolute hell for the folks with big commercial flocks that are normally free range.
[/quote}

You are quite right Marches Farmer  and I don't know. Maybe the fact wild ducks and geese gather around water in large numbers and contaminate the water with droppings make it easier for them to spread it around, I don't know. Probably all of us are encouraging our garden birds with feed anyway at this time of year.

There has always been this business of "if practicable"  that fowl should be kept inside so I suspect lots of people will just say it wasn't. Now there isn't a choice but one wonders if in reality this will make any difference  as wild birds will still be visiting and we haven't had heavy rains yet but when we do lots of these temporary enclosures will be more vulnerable. Encouraging better bio security might be more useful. How many people have disinfectant set up?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:59 pm »
I have a boot dip outside my chicken shed.

The main spread is through water so obviously waterfowl are most at risk and most likely to be the carriers that spread it elsewhere.

I have 4 semi-feral geese and 5 muscovey ducks who, I'm afraid, have to take their chances. When I feed, it's under cover and stand by to keep wild birds away, but like others here, the water is from a stream and I have no choice in that as there is no other water supply. I simply cannot humanely shut them in because of their location (on top of the moors in a very remote field) and semi-wild state. I will cull rather than shut them in, if I can catch them,  but really hope it won't come to that.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
I got a bale of hay today and put it in the coop, hens love it which I'm surprised at, best £4.99 I've spent.
I'm also using horse treat nets, like hay nets but tiny, to hang veg in, they only cost £2.99 each so have a few round the pen so everyone can get some.
The middle section of the pen floor is bare earth so that gives them somewhere to scratch, have cobbled together some outdoor perches using plastic buckets as supports and a hentastic garlic fat peck block.
They seem quite happy.

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
We have just had an email from our certification body saying....
'This is to inform you that the mandatory housing of poultry has been extended to the end of February, as below notice received from Defra today.'
Not good.

Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:17 pm »
Well at the very least my geese are happier. I'll try pulling up the weed proof fabric at the top end of tunnel and putting straw there.  It's the only area not covered with straw at the moment.

Dans

I know it's netting they are under rather than tarp/plastic but it's butterfly proof netting and the best we have :-/
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #352 on: January 05, 2017, 04:07:09 pm »
Looks rather nice in there, really  :thumbsup:

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #353 on: January 05, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »
I know it's netting they are under rather than tarp/plastic but it's butterfly proof netting and the best we have :-/
I guess if you hose any wild bird poo off from inside with a bit of pressure behind it it should do the trick.
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »
Ihave cobbled together some outdoor perches using plastic buckets as supports
Breeze blocks on their sides, with a half-round paddock rail wedged in the top space at an angle, make sturdy perch supports at the right height.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2017, 05:02:56 pm »
Four happy geese Dans  :thumbsup:

Is it OK to feed geese broad, runner and french bean seeds and sweetcorn which are out of date for planting?  They would soak in their water bucket?   Or would they need to be boiled for 10 mins as for humans?

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #356 on: January 06, 2017, 07:55:42 am »
Oh no predictably there has been an extension to the end of February, my poor chookies - so I think I'll be making lots of chicken soup and stock over the weekend  :'(
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2017, 08:17:15 am »

Chief Veterinary Officer Nigel Gibbens said:

'The Prevention Zone means anyone who keeps poultry such as chickens, ducks and geese, even as pets, must take action to stop them coming into contact with wild birds to protect them from avian flu.

Birds should be moved into a suitable building, or if that isn’t possible owners must take sensible precautions to keep them away from wild birds, like putting up netting to create a temporary enclosure and keeping food and water supplies inside where they cannot be contaminated by wild birds.

Even when birds are kept indoors a risk of infection remains so keepers must also practice good biosecurity, for example by disinfecting footwear and equipment and washing clothing after contact with birds'.

I also have distinfectant at the gate of my farm, no one is allowed in.  I have an inspection due next week (usual 5 year thing) and he won't be allowed in if he hasn't brought his wellies.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #358 on: January 06, 2017, 09:20:49 am »
What do you use in yout footdip please Herdygirl?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #359 on: January 06, 2017, 10:27:01 am »
What do you use in yout footdip please Herdygirl?

A lot of disinfectant once it has been used a couple of times and starts becoming dirty doesn't work as well. This one works continues to work even when dirty. Bio Shield from a company called bio link ltd in Yorkshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS