Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best way to transport a Rhea  (Read 3453 times)

donna

• Joined Jun 2010
best way to transport a Rhea
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »
Hi we are collecting an adult Rhea next weekend and wonder if anyone knows the best way to go about this,the journey will take about an hour and a half and i would like it to be as stress free and as comfortable as possible.
i would be grateful for any advice

Hardfeather

Re: best way to transport a Rhea
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:53:02 pm »
,the journey will take about an hour and a half and i would like it to be as stress free and as comfortable as possible. i would be grateful for any advice

Check your girth after a couple of hundred or so yards, and walk it most of the way. You might get trot, but don't expect canter. Wear a few pairs of pants so your bum doesn't get sore.;D Remember to clip its wings when you get it home ;D ;D ;)

Seriously, though, I would be inclined to transport it in a horse trailer, with all the bars and partitions taken out, with a good bed of shavings down, and the top doors closed. If they are prone to panic, you may wish to put a dark coloured sock over its head till it's loaded and ready to roll. I think Rheas are ok, it's Cassowaries which are flighty and easily shocked.

Watch its feet...they can give a hell of a kick.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:03:28 am by AengusOg »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:57 am »
Hey up Donna that Kurt Long used to ride on his on TV ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

donna

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:51:29 am »
thanks for the idea of riding him back!
i hadn't thought of that,
the only problem i can see to that is where would i plug my Tom Tom in !
we could get lost and be gone for weeks.
all jokes aside do you think he would be better in a trailer he can stand up in or the lower livestock trailer,do you think that would encourage him to sit down.

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:02:19 pm »
do you think he would be better in a trailer he can stand up in or the lower livestock trailer,do you think that would encourage him to sit down.

That's a good point...I suppose if he couldn't stand up, he'd have to sit down which would limit his ability to move around. The less movement, the less chance of injury.

What do his present owners think?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »
I am most pleased you took my suggestion as a bit of fun Can you remember Kurt he was a laugh and the bird twice so I would think he would enjoy a nice ride in a Ifor Williams.The Ostriches down south of here do they look out the gap at the top of the ramp and see where they have been. :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS