Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what age to train a beardie?  (Read 2396 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
what age to train a beardie?
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:39:35 am »
Hi I bought a beardie pup a couple of months back, she is 4 months old at the moment and is already showing interest in sheep and buffaloes. Because I have only kept red welsh, and they took a few years before I could train them to round up sheep and cattle, how old should she be before I can start training her? Are they like the border or do they take longer?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: what age to train a beardie?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:54 am »
I haven't a clue to be honest, I only have gundogs, but would her breeder not be able to help?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:04:11 am »
Apart from the basics, I probably wouldn't start doing much proper training with a Beardie until 9-18 months, as they mature slowly.   :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:41 am »
Thanks for replying I will look it up on the working beardies website. Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
Once went to a training lesson where someone brought along a 3 year old Beardie that had never seen sheep before.  After an hour he was voted Dog Most Likely To and working them like a part-trained Border Collie.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
This is a fascinating site for info on working beardies.

http://www.spanglefish.com/brambledalebeardedcollies/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS