Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to reduce bottle feeds?  (Read 4735 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
When to reduce bottle feeds?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
My bottle babies are now 5 weeks old and I was wondering how most people reduce their intake of milk  - at what stages and by how much. They are currently getting 4 full bottles a day and are out grazing. I have put out some creep feed for them but they haven't really been interested.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: When to reduce bottle feeds?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:03 pm »
I would drop them down to 3 feeds a day. Keep the evening and morning bottles, but drop one of the daytime ones, and then if you can move the third feed more into the middle of the day. Ours are down to two feeds a day at just over 8 weeks, but we increase how much milk they get at each feed.

Having said that, I do know people who keep kids on 4 bottles a day until the kids are 8 weeks old.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »
Mine are on 4 x 500ml per day until 3 months, then dropping a feed per months (roughly). Play it by ear, some want to stop earlier. I have also found that before 8 weeks they rarely eat much in the way of concentrate - it's more let's turn this bowl over and play King of the castle... ::)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
So you see different people do different things. Ours get 1200ml at each of their two feeds.

Beth

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:18 pm »
Hi ! We do all do things differently, I always, once the kids were drinking a full 500ml bottle, they had 4bottles a day for weeks, then 3 bottles for 3weeks, 2bottles for 2weeks, 1bottle for a week, weaned !!! Obviously they were introduced to concentrate, hay etc from about 3weeks.
I do remember, however, when I started with goats some  27yrs ago I was told to give them milk until they were about 18months old and stud males as long as they would take it !!!!  I never did and they all grew well.
More for you to filter and choose whatever is right for you and your system. :wave:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:31:39 am »
I do remember, however, when I started with goats some  27yrs ago I was told to give them milk until they were about 18months old and stud males as long as they would take it !!!!  I never did and they all grew well.
More for you to filter and choose whatever is right for you and your system. :wave:

Well my stud male (and his wether companion) still get a bottle at night time....and he is 13 months old ::). But he had quite a difficult first few months of his life, now a strapping lad. Kind of working out how and when to stop it, but right now he just loves it.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:09:47 am »
When I bottle feed lambs I only feed them 3 bottles at the 1 month age, by 2-3 months they're either on 1 bottle or weaned. I try and push them with cake too. I suppose its different with goats. I would say maybe only 3 bottles a day at 5 wks, mind you how big are the bottles  and how much do they drink?  ??? 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:38:10 am »
When I bottle feed lambs I only feed them 3 bottles at the 1 month age, by 2-3 months they're either on 1 bottle or weaned. I try and push them with cake too. I suppose its different with goats. I would say maybe only 3 bottles a day at 5 wks, mind you how big are the bottles  and how much do they drink?  ???

It is different with dairy goats - you want them to develop a good bone frame, and for that they need milk.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 11:26:43 am »
The bottles are 500ml.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:28 pm »
Re the studmale still on a bottle, try warm water instead of the milk ,in a bucket. Mine used to dive into the warm water that I had heated the bottles in after they finished the milk. This got them to drink well, important to flush their kidneys and reduce the risk of calculi.  Horsesforcoursesas I said before, I had an A.N male that had the bottle regime mentioned and he was huge . :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:11:03 am »
I've only bottle fed one goat kid as I prefer to let the mothers do the work so I can't remember when I started cutting out feeds. When she reached six months she was on two bottle a day and I started diluting the milk with water, gradually increasing the ratio of water over two weeks until she was just drinking water. After a couple of weeks of water, she suddenly decided enough was enough.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 06:34:13 am »
I've only bottle fed one goat kid as I prefer to let the mothers do the work so I can't remember when I started cutting out feeds. When she reached six months she was on two bottle a day and I started diluting the milk with water, gradually increasing the ratio of water over two weeks until she was just drinking water. After a couple of weeks of water, she suddenly decided enough was enough.

As far I have been told it is not advisable to dilute goatsmilk with water as it stops the milk from curdling properly in the goat' stomach. OK to do with replacer though.

But I have a kid at the moment who on coming for her bottle first dives into the bucket with the warm water (from warming up the bottles) before going for her bottle... :-\ (they do have normal water in their pen too)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »

As far I have been told it is not advisable to dilute goatsmilk with water as it stops the milk from curdling properly in the goat' stomach. OK to do with replacer though.

I'd not heard that, Anke, and it was goat's milk she was on. I didn't bother to warm it either. She's such a greedy girl that she just didn't care.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS