Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stillborn lamb  (Read 6052 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Stillborn lamb
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:41 pm »
Title says it - is there anything I need to do for the ewe? There doesn't seem to be another one coming, she is now penned up in the field and we have taken lamb away (don't want to encourage foxes/badger), she is calling for the lamb. ( I never had a single lamb being stillborn, and there is no other one I can foster on to her  :(). I cannot put her inside anywhere and we have tons of grass already - just worried she will get mastitis.

Should I give her an antibiotic in the morning - no afterbirth yet, and the lamb was perfectly formed maybe died a couple of days ago. Eyes were still shut completely. No smell, no decomposition. I pulled the lamb out but did not go inside her. I have Alamycin LA and Betamox LA here - which one is better?

It was just heartbreaking watching her licking the (dead) lamb and calling for it to respond... just when I thought lambing this year is easy and going well... :'(

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Stillborn lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
Really sorry to hear this - heartbreaking to hear the ewe calling for a dead lamb  :'( :'(  Unless I have to put my hand inside to assist a ewe I don't give antibiotics.  Is there any chance at all she may be having a second lamb? 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:41 pm »
If lamb was dead inside, i would still get her jabbed. penicillin based one,  taught  that alamycin was for lungs and feet x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:00:35 pm »
Just about to go back outside to check on her, so maybe another one coming, but it didn't look like it earlier. I don't like bumping their stomachs (to check for more lambs) until a few hours later so will watch her for a while now.

As lamb was dead inside I would feel AB is better. Amoxyllin (Betamox) is a penicillin isn't it?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:07:07 pm »
Was the water bag clear before the lamb was born - usually when lamb has been dead a day or so the bag contains darker fluid. Was it a normal head/feet delivery?  Would so love you to go out and find her suckling a second lamb.   :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:45 pm »
Stillbirth - give antibiotics.  I use Pen & Strep daily for up to a week.  A double dose immediately, then a good dose every day for 3 days, then if she's still not 100%, normal dose for 3 more days. 

I would give her antibiotics immediately, don't wait until morning.

Would any of your neighbouring farmers have a spare lamb you could give her to love and rear?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »
Well no second lamb and no sign of afterbirth either. I will have to go and get Pen & Strep from vets in the morning, mine is well out of date... She is absolutely fine, just shouting for her lamb....

Peasoup out there, one of these nights when a torch is just no use whatsoever...

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »
 :wave: ab is fine for it if in date . not sure where you are in borders. i no a couple of farmers around hawick may have a lamb. pm me if u need and i will rake out there numbers .i have one but its a bit far to come .would probably need it if i sold it  ??? sorry just noticed st boswells ::)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
how's she doing today Anke? sad to read it.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:47:40 am »
 :hug: Hope she's ok today xxxx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:12 am »
She is fine, although still bawling. The afterbirth came away during the night, so that's some relief (I was worried about the possibility of another dead one inside, but seems not the case :relief:), and she got her AB's plus a wormer (which all of mine get after lambing) and is on hay and water. eased out the udder and will continue to do so for a few days.

Unfortunately I just don't have the time to go and try to find a lamb to latch onto her, so she will just have a summer of leisure (I hope).

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:24 am »
I had a ewe in a similar situation a couple of years ago - she had a very full udder but was fine and didn't get any mastitis.  She then went on to have twins the following year.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:13 am »
Poor girlie  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS