Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traditional crafts program  (Read 9516 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Traditional crafts program
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qsc3j/Mastercrafts_Green_Wood_Craft/

the link is for the new tv program about learning traditional crafts , introduced by Monty Don . This week it is about green wood working , pole lathes , bodging etc . Really good program , although there are some almost irritating " oh I can't do this " moments   ::) ;D.
Sorry to those who can't get iplayer ....I don't make the rules  !!!!

cheers

Russ

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: Traditional crafts program
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »
Completely forgot, so thanks for reminding me. I actually got an email from the weaving guild reminding me, and I STILL forgot! Old age, eh?  :P

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:17 pm »
no probs......I do that too.....er whatever that is ? ....dunno ....I forget....!!!!  ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:09:43 pm »
What night is it on? 

To answer Q in other thread - where am I?  I am visiting my pal Jan in Royston and we went to see my nephew and his family today, then going to buy prizes tomorrow for our Club Open Show on Sunday(Brittany Club of Great Britain - www.brittanyclub.co.uk), them we have our AGM where they pull my accounts to bits - well I hope they don't ;), followed by a Committee meeting, then back to Jan's for dinner in a nice restaurant, and flying home again on Monday night.   But for my wonderful dog/cat/chicken/duck/house sitter I couldn't do it - only £30 a day, no food provided!  Well done Denise, and her assistant, Jenni!
See you all when I get back home! ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »
tonight BBC 2 9.00pm, Annie. It is about thatching tonight , looks like another good one . Well they will all be good to me , as they are all about subjects I like and actually do .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qvrcj

cheers

Russ

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:34:47 pm »
Do you weave, Russ?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:19 pm »
 I have done some weaving , although it was years ago now . I made the loom (no idea where it went ? ), but I want to grow my own linseed , hemp and even some cotton , to spin and weave my own cloth . I don't need huge amounts , a few yards of each say about 10 or so . I also want to spin and weave my own wool, if I actually get the sheep ? , but I don't mind getting the wool from local farmers , as long as it is free !!!!. I did work in a knitting factory for 3 years , not knitting with needles ... but on a hand operated industrial 'Dubied' knitting machine .

cheers   

Russ

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »
What sort of loom did you make, a static or one with a shed?
Plant fibres are really time consuming and need a lot of effort to spin and weave, so rather you than me! You have to beat the plants to get the fibres, and some you have to soak until it smells like the drainpipes from hell, before you beat it.
It's hard to spin them as well, because you can never get them fine enough to make a fine weave, so you end up with something looking like a sackcloth, and the single ply always looks ratty with bits sticking out, lol.
Wool, on the other hand, is great  ;D I always get mine free, because the wool board doesn't pay a lot, and some people actually get a bill FROM the wool board because their fleece weren't clean enough, so people would rather give it away. I get shetland fleeces and jacobs, and they satisfy my wooly interests  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:57:25 pm »
My word Ive seen corn stacks with better thacking done on them that was shown .Me thinks Monti wants to get back to gardening because hes definately out of his depth in these programs ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »
er ... well I made it in a shed  !!!!  ::) ;D . It was a big square framed thing ,  a foot treadle floor loom , about 4' wide . It worked really well . I made it from drawings in a book . The same book also had drawings for a spinning wheel made from an old bike wheel . I made that and it did work , but was a bit too big to have indoors by the fire in winter . My late mum then got an Ashford spinning wheel , so we used that to spin mainly wool . I grew hemp and flax (linseed) and yes it does stink like hell when  retting it !!! It is 30 years plus now since I did that , and hard to remember exactly what I did . But I know I made a load of string and rope , and with some of it I made some sacking . I made some trousers out of the flax . I can't remember how hard it was to spin or weave either of them really , but I know that after a few wonky attempts I got some usable stuff out of it all .  I know that the spinning wheel had to be setup slightly different for flax and hemp than it did for wool , so we used the Ashford for wool and the bike wheel thing for hemp etc.
 The loom probably got left at the farm when Mum and Dad left  , I had moved out ages before that . I will most likely make the same sort of loom again , I have a few different drawings  . 

Cheers

Russ 

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »
Monti Don is only presenting these progs George  ;D , . He does the odd little thing here and there by the looks of it , but it is about the people having a go at it mainly . I know it is almost impossible to really do what they are meant to in the time , but that is modern tv for you . They can hardly follow an apprentice for 7 years and show that .... :o . At least it is getting old skills into the modern eye again . So many people wouldn't have a clue about any of the things on the program . These crafts were, even just a few years ago, everyday things you saw about  . All my Nan's chairs were made by bodgers , we had them after Nan and Granddad died . They lasted well into the late 60's early 70's when mum and dad got new metal ones  ( they lasted about 2 years ), Nan's chairs had been her Mum's !!! , and I doubt that she got them new (the sound of the Hovis music plays gently in the background !! )  ::) ;D  .

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »
I agree hes only presenting it Russ but it might come over if he learned more about it first.Sorry it was a complete waste of time for me. ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:03 am »
no probs George mate ...funny how some things grab us and others leave us cold ... I myself would rather watch something like this than the X-craptor , I find that dire !! , but plenty of people like it .
I think the next one is Blacksmithing . That should be fun if some of the hot flaky bits jump up and land on their arm ...he he he ... don't arf make ya jump !! :o ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:16:41 am »
Darn I missed it - I am downloading the iplayer desktop now to watch it tomorrow.

Will have to get the next one on tv when its on.

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:24:26 am »
I hope you enjoy it Baz I was most disappointed. ??? :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS