Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: willow wont stop fightin with holly  (Read 2276 times)

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
willow wont stop fightin with holly
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:21 am »
I KNOW CARL HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT WILLOW AND HOLLY FIGHTING BUT IT THE THIRD DAY SO IS THIS NORMAL STILL? we are keepin them seperate at night and outside it not really a prob but in the goat house willow really goin for holly. it not nice to watch and im wondering for people who are very experienced if this just has to run its course? help and advice very much appreciated please  :-\
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: willow wont stop fightin with holly
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:12:50 pm »
It's a dominance and territory thing, they both want to be herd leader, you might have to separate them indoors before one of them gets hurt. they will need their own space in the shed especially at feeding time. Outside in a paddock it is just a normal goat greeting and they have the room to get out of the way if it gets too boisterous.

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »
tizaala thanku for ur reply!
we keep them in two seperate living areas at night but outside it ok.
holly doesnt really fight back just willow being bugga... :-\ but today seems slightly better. will they get used too each other eventually?  :fc:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:41 pm »
Perhaps Willow sees her new friend as a potential intruder on her maternal bond with the kids. I think it took a couple of weeks before I'd say that my most recent addition was accepted into the herd - there's still the odd bit of argey bargey but its not worrying.   They just like bashing heads from time to time I think!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »
Just trying to sort out whose boss :)   If there are kids around its only natural for mum to be protective.  Once Holly knows Willow is in charge, things will quieten down.  You want to see my two pygmy boys go for it and when their horns clash I cringe .....

I would keep an eye on them, just to make sure no one is injured, but I am sure they will calm down once they are settled in together.  Having the kids there will not be helping though.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:44 pm »
I had a problem with bullying and advice on here included the suggestion of using a water-pistol (covertly) so that the bully got a splat between the eyes and didn't know where it came from whenever she butted the victim.

For a few days I put them together for supervised half-hour or so and accurately hit the bad girl with a jet of water as required, then separated them with a hurdle again until I could do another session.  After a very short time there was no need for the water-pistol.  I kept watching for ages but once the aggression had been diverted - she must have wondered how the new girl was creating the fountain! - they settled really well.  Now live together quite happily.

May be worth a try - my tiny water pistol came from a toy shop and cost 50p.  They sell them for children's birthday parties, apparently.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS