Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 6895 times)

Ari-elf

• Joined Dec 2007
Hello!
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:15:50 pm »
Hi! My name is Erin and I'm new to the forums. My husband to be and I live in the Highlands, and are trying to become as self sufficient as possible. To this end we're planning a vegetable garden to be planted in the spring, and we are looking into raising a few chickens, a pig and perhaps a few sheep. We're open to suggestions on breeds, land management, and anything else that will help us transition smoothly!

Cheers!

~Erin

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:44:49 pm »
hiya
am in central Scotland
* fluffywelshsheep stretches arms really high in the sky and waves north

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:46:48 pm »
Hi, Erin and welcome.

There are already some threads that might help - but if you've any specific questions, just ask!

Rosemary

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
Hi Erin, welcome.  Not much use on anything but pigs myself.  If you are keeping a pig please dont keep just one it really is cruel, they are social animals, not only will they thrive much better as a pair or more, they will not be such escape artists.

Although tamworths are for me a passion, I would recommend probably a couple of Gloucester Old Spots if they are easily available in your area, or otherwise any pigs with lop ears are normally easier (probably as they dont see so well with the ears over their eyes).  Be warned though a full size Gos sow lumbering across the field at full pelt for her dinner, wont see you until its often too late.  Always leave plenty of space to sidestep!!! 

All pigs are adorable though.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »
equally a rugby tackle pig style

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:14:55 pm »
Hi Erin and welcome, where abouts in Scotland are you. We used to live up there but now only get the pleasure when I visit my friend.  Anyway welcome again Janx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS