The Accidental Smallholder Forum

Smallholding => Equipment => Topic started by: welsh_cob on October 04, 2015, 09:26:17 pm

Title: Galvanised Trough
Post by: welsh_cob on October 04, 2015, 09:26:17 pm
Got a galvanised water tank, going to use it to fill water troughs or as a large water trough.

However, it's a little rusted inside on the base, with a power wash and poss wire brushing would that suffice to make it 'clean' to use as storage/transport for animals water? Or does it need coating with something.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Galvanised Trough
Post by: chrismahon on October 05, 2015, 08:57:45 am
What I used to find with galvanised domestic tanks was that what appeared solid was just the zinc coating, the steel behind having rusted away completely. We were told during my plumbing training that if any rust at all was evident the first thing to do was avoid touching it in case it just fractured and flooded the house. My advice would be to scrap the tank Welshcob. You will find that plastic ones available from plumbing suppliers are very cheap.
Title: Re: Galvanised Trough
Post by: bazzais on October 05, 2015, 09:22:18 pm
(bit of a) Rusty trough is fine - or all my animals would be dead - and me cos my header tank is rusty too.

Its Bacteria, micro organisms and pollutions that kill - rust wont do you harm - unless you tried to eat it.
Title: Re: Galvanised Trough
Post by: cloddopper on October 08, 2015, 10:14:41 pm
Whilst many farmers still use rusty galvanised drinking equipment and containers  the rust is not too help full to the stock or humans because of chances of ferric chloride developing if the water has been standing in the tank for a while .
 The bacteria angle as has also been said applies .

 When I was in HMF as a senior rank doing equipment inspections any water bowser or water container that was found to have the slightest hint of rust was  immediately condemned to scrap by me under the HMF's health regulations and a new plastic /rubber one ordered .

 The iron in the steel body reacts with the chlorine in the water and forms a weak ferrous chloride which ain't any good for your kidneys..

Here's the Wikki  bit about it .


Iron(III) chloride is toxic, highly corrosive and acidic. The anhydrous material is a powerful dehydrating agent.

Although reports of poisoning in humans are rare, ingestion of ferric chloride can result in serious morbidity and mortality. Inappropriate labeling and storage lead to accidental swallowing or misdiagnosis. Early diagnosis is important, especially in seriously poisoned patients.
Title: Re: Galvanised Trough
Post by: waterbuffalofarmer on October 09, 2015, 09:52:18 am
I buy all those black plastic drinking baths, they may be 200 each but better than a cheaper alternative, also they last longer and are easy to clean. The ones am talking about are the ones with the ballcock hidden in a plastic casing in the middle of the bath, it has two plastic drinking quarters. Its very good because it means the buffalo can't mess around with the bath.