Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tumbling Tom trouble  (Read 2030 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Tumbling Tom trouble
« on: July 06, 2016, 02:25:53 pm »
I have 2 bush tomatoes, one is a Tumbling tom. It has been flowering brilliantly from the day I got it but not a single one has set. It is in the polytunnel but I do shake it occasionally which does the trick for most cordon plants I had. The other one in the tunnel is a dwarf (different variety) which has only had about 10 flowers so far and 5 have set, one is already red. Does anyone else have issues with the ever so popular variety Tumbling Tom?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Tumbling Tom trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
I have 2 bush tomatoes, one is a Tumbling tom. It has been flowering brilliantly from the day I got it but not a single one has set. It is in the polytunnel but I do shake it occasionally which does the trick for most cordon plants I had. The other one in the tunnel is a dwarf (different variety) which has only had about 10 flowers so far and 5 have set, one is already red. Does anyone else have issues with the ever so popular variety Tumbling Tom?
Mine is the same, Kersten - loads of flowers but no sign of setting
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »
A vibrator or electric toothbrush on the flower stalks.. you need to mimic bumble bees.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:01:40 pm »
plenty of bumbles in the tunnel!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:10:38 pm »
Yes, I've had bumble bees, and ordinary ones, as well as flies in my greenhouse
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »
I grow them every year in my conservatory and only had trouble once or twice  It really depends on weather and loads of other things too. Have you been growing this variety long and have you changed the soil at all for a different brand? How are you growing them? Bob flowerdew talks quite a bit about growbags having not enough space for tomatoes. I  grow mine in large pots and they usually work out well. How much fertiliser are they getting?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »
I spray all tom, chillie, pepper and runner bean flowers as they open,  with a fine water spray, once a day. This helps them to set and to stay on the plant when they have set.  Any which are facing away from the spray, turn gently with your hand so it's the flower face which gets the light damping.

I don't like Tumbling Tom though because the fruit are a bit insipid and squash when you pick them. I have grown them in large hanging baskets but they soon run out of nutrients and can be difficult to get the watering just right.   I grow Sakura, which is an indeterminate cherry, with a bit of blight tolerance, in the soil of my polytunnel
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:08:49 pm »
I've never had tumbling toms before and the first time for years I had to buy plants so I bought different varieties to see what does well here. It's in a large pot on the table where  it could tumble off from  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS