Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 3607 times)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Pumpkins
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:42:14 am »
Did anyone watch the recent Countryfile which featured the Slindon Pumpkin Festival?  Many years ago, when my kids were small, I worked there, and it was amazing.  The owner was committed to organic growing, which was pretty revolutionary back then, and we grew all kinds of veg. no-one else had heard of.  As well as all varieties of pumpkins and squashes we grew ornamental gourds, golden courgettes, and loads of varieties of tomatoes, including yellow ones, big ones and striped ones.  He was very basic, and heated his greenhouse with big iron pot bellied stoves on which he burnt anything, and I do mean anything.  It all seemed to work though, and we had  Americans coming over every year especially to buy enormous pumpkins.  He used to pile them up all over the front of his cottage, on the walls and the roof - everywhere.  I've got old photos somewhere, and if I can find them and conquer the technology involved, I'll try and put some up.  Working there was a real experience which started me being interested in the environment and organics etc.  It was also home to worst tempered rooster I've ever met, I think it was some kind of Rock x. it was found wandering along the road one day, in the middle of nowhere.  I expect someone chucked it out after being attacked once too many times!  It was nice to see that one of the sons has taken the place over and is keeping it going.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
Yes I saw the programme and have seen footage of the place before, although it's too far away from me to visit.  It looks wonderful - lucky you to have worked there  8) :squash: :squash: :squash:

All those pumpkins make my few seem puny, but I did manage to grow 3 whoppers for the closest grandchildren and plenty of Uchiki Kuri for us.

If you can get some pics on here it would be lovely to see them  :thumbsup:
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »
It was really good, plus I was able to take the kids with me when they were really small.  Just parked them up in a corner and got on with my work.  Very laid back, did have to watch out for the rooster though, he was wicked, but Ralph Upton wouldn't have a word said against him!  I also learnt a lot about cooking and eating squashes from Barbara, the owner's wife, and somewhere I think I still have a small cookery book which we put together simply by coming up with ideas then trying them out.  I'll try and look that out too, and share some here.  Sophie Grigson has a chapter about all things squash in her book 'Eat Your Greens' in which she gives Mrs Upton's recipe for Pumpkin Marmalade.  I remember working on that over quite a long time in her very traditional farmhouse kitchen, when the weather as too wet or frozen to do anything outside. There is also a nice pic of squashes in Sophie's book on page 136.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
I hope you do manage to find the recipe book.  I have a fair crop of pumpkins stored and could do with some recipes beyond roasted, souped and curried  :D
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:22 am »
I have found it, but it's in very small type, so not sure yet how to reproduce it on here.  Also a lot of the recipes are for squashes which you would probably not be able to buy, but have to grow yourself.  How you'd get the seed I'm not sure, but I have stirrings in what used to be my brain and I may come up with something when we get this water supply problem solved.  We seem to have an air lock in the hot water somewhere and we just cannot find it, and it's taken up 4 very unproductive days so far!  Grrrrr!

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:33 am »
made pumpkin pie yesterday - tastes very good

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »
Love pumpkin pie.  Saw a recipe yesterday for pumpkin meringue pie which i will have to make!

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
Garden Organic have a heritage seed library where they keep going varieties that are not on the official list so cannot be sold.  If you join, you get to choose six packets of seeds per year.  They have some interesting squashes. You can find out more on www.gardenorganic.org.uk  :squash: :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »
Last year we never got a female flower on any of our pumpkins, so no pumpkins grew at our place.  This year we are in luck, female flowers, so we shall get pumpkins. Last  year was a bad year for growing any thing really,  so we have had good luck so far so good. 

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »
Sophie Grigson has a chapter about all things squash in her book 'Eat Your Greens' in which she gives Mrs Upton's recipe for Pumpkin Marmalade.  I remember working on that over quite a long time in her very traditional farmhouse kitchen, when the weather as too wet or frozen to do anything outside. There is also a nice pic of squashes in Sophie's book on page 136.

I have that book.  It's excellent.

pollinating pumpkins

Started by northfifeduckling (8.53)

Replies: 2
Views: 1525
Last post July 24, 2010, 12:13:22 am
by Fleecewife
pumpkins, oops

Started by plumseverywhere (8.53)

Replies: 3
Views: 1695
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:08:14 pm
by egbert
giant pumpkins anyone?

Started by deepinthewoods (8.53)

Replies: 5
Views: 2026
Last post May 11, 2011, 09:34:40 am
by ballingall
pumpkins with barnacles

Started by northfifeduckling (8.53)

Replies: 2
Views: 2343
Last post October 16, 2011, 08:19:32 am
by Blonde
Pumpkins- what did I do wrong.

Started by Ghdp (8.53)

Replies: 18
Views: 5018
Last post September 09, 2015, 11:16:12 am
by cloddopper

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS