Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden/Violent Death  (Read 650 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Sudden/Violent Death
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 11:13:54 am »
Thank you,  fW.

We decided to let them out. They tend to stay close to the house by choice .... though that didn't seem to bother the culprit! We are listening out for their alarm calls very closely.

Our dogs are working line labradors and I'm not sure they'd be any use as flock protection dogs. They are out a lot during the day while we are out but not left unattended outdoors. They don't chase anything so only any good as a deterrent.
It's the first time that we've been without a cat since we moved in here so I'm thinking that there is nothing to put off the small furies now. More bank voles etc and so the weasel located here to hunt those primarily.

Enclosing a big area etc would be difficult. We have lots of cockerels who get on fine when free ranging but do sleep in different houses (well in theory ..... sometimes they decide to all move in together) so making a central shared run would be impossible really.

The shut in quarters have wired air vents etc so hopefully safe but I've read that they're difficult to keep out if determined.

Keeping our fingers crossed that it was a one off attack.

Your soon to be pup sounds fun!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 12:25:32 pm »
<< Your soon to be pup sounds fun! >>

I'll put some pics somewhere when he gets here :dog:  At the mo he's a rolypoly sausage  :love:

:fc: the weasel doesn't come back.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:27:06 pm by Fleecewife »
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: 5th UK nation
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 08:02:05 pm »
No expert on mustelid behaviours, BUT I go back to my 1st posted response and offer this quote from animalcorner.org as regards the stoat:
"The stoat is capable of killing animals much larger than itself. When it is able to obtain more meat than it can eat, it will engage in ‘surplus killing’ and often stores the extra food for later. Stoats kill their prey by a bite to the back of the neck and may travel as far as 8 kilometers in one hunt." 
(!!!!!)
I can only wish you good luck @in the hills !!  Perhaps introducing an "outdoors" cat or cats might help deter stoats from living nearby and/or from investigating your chickens in future (and go back to preying on rabbits and other wild-life).

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:04:39 pm by arobwk »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 08:22:11 pm »
Thank you arobwk.

I think that you might be right. I think that the creature that we spotted running across the road was in fact a stoat and not a weasel. I googled both and I think that it was too big to be a weasel and it's movement was more that of a stoat.

We are keeping a careful eye on our flock and hoping that it was a one off, as it were.

sudden death ??

Started by 90driver (13.68)

Replies: 5
Views: 1967
Last post May 04, 2013, 03:16:39 am
by chrismahon
sudden death???

Started by WoodlandsDevon (13.68)

Replies: 4
Views: 1822
Last post September 27, 2013, 10:22:03 pm
by HesterF
Sudden Death

Started by Kitchen Cottage (13.68)

Replies: 8
Views: 2301
Last post February 13, 2014, 08:35:19 pm
by Kitchen Cottage
Sudden death of hen

Started by SLI (13.68)

Replies: 10
Views: 3750
Last post May 09, 2014, 12:19:47 pm
by Ryder
Sudden hen death

Started by Sudanpan (13.68)

Replies: 5
Views: 1937
Last post June 06, 2015, 02:15:37 pm
by waterbuffalofarmer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS