Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs, what do you have 2022  (Read 1507 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Hatching eggs, what do you have 2022
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:10:43 am »
Separated my breeding flock yesterday and it made me wonder what everyone else has and if people will be selling their hatching eggs.

We will have speckled Sussex hatching eggs later in the year and weíre in Angus if thatís of any interest to anyone. :-)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Hatching eggs, what do you have 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 09:52:43 am »
I had Speckled Sussex years ago, beautiful birds. Loved to watch and admire them.
But got enough with our 4 mongrels for now. :)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:32:43 pm »
I decided to only hatch bantams this year and only keep few large fowl from last year.
For now I'm planning hatching pekins and ko shamo (looking for more good quality stock of Ko Shamo)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 03:46:45 pm »
I'm waiting for my flock to gradually reduce itself to 3 hens, enough for eggs just for us.  Hopefully no-one will take it into their heads to sit on a clutch this year and overturn my plans  :hughen:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 08:30:46 am »
I'm waiting for my flock to gradually reduce itself to 3 hens, enough for eggs just for us.  Hopefully no-one will take it into their heads to sit on a clutch this year and overturn my plans  :hughen:

I reduced my dutch bantam horde to just a trio last summer, then the two hens went off and produced 11 babies between them  ::)
I have some cracking young dutch cockerels if anyone is interested ......

On the hatching egg front I do sell LF cuckoo Maran eggs, but for collection only, not posted.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 07:27:02 am »
We've got a pair of Bresse chickens that we'll probably breed from this year.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 06:02:47 am »
Khaki Campbell's, still havent been brave enough to get a rooster so my hens are just laying for now. Only hatchable eggs come from the ducks

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:52 am »
Khaki Campbell's, still havent been brave enough to get a rooster so my hens are just laying for now. Only hatchable eggs come from the ducks
Is it because of neighbours?
I live in the middle of a city and have cockerels.
And I can hear cockerels coming from 2 different directions as well  :roflanim:

Nothing better than hatching ducks! Even better than chicks! Only the mess...

Muscovy ducks are my favourite to keep though.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 05:47:26 am »
Iím venturing out with my feathered friends this year. Doing some unusual at men cemani chickens. And some light sussex. I need to up my egg laying flock as I seem to have acquired 2 lads. Thankfully they are pretty nice boys so can stay for now.
I have Cayuga ducks in now as well.
Planning Shetland geese as well as Shetland ducks this year too. Thatís it for feathered friends. Itís enough 😊

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 02:33:44 am »
Is it because of neighbours?
I live in the middle of a city and have cockerels.
And I can hear cockerels coming from 2 different directions as well  :roflanim:

Nothing better than hatching ducks! Even better than chicks! Only the mess...

Muscovy ducks are my favourite to keep though.

My neighbour's are reasonably far away, it was more for my own sanity 🤣. We've tried to set yourself up so the stuff that requires the most attention is closest to the house, so daily egg collections mean the ducks and chickens are pretty much outside my window.

I'm quite lucky my ducks have a good size pond, it's the drainage pond with a spill way so it gets a decent water exchange rate, so the ducks make nowhere near as much mess as they did when I kept them on land only with just a splash pool

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 09:05:32 pm »
You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to the cockerels crow in the morning!
Now I get worried when I don't hear him  ;)
I have a Brook in a middle of our garden! Geese and muscovy ducks used to go swimming every morning and many times during the day.
Campbell ducks seem to be less clever I'm afraid. They hatched in my incubator and spend their whole lives around here - using baby bathtub evey day. They came after the previous generation of Brook swimmers were gone  :(
Those new ducks never learnt to use the Brook. I even forced one or two to swim (I.e. chuckend them in the water lol) and all they did was come out as soon as they could  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:39:26 pm by macgro7 »

hatching eggs

Started by lula (9.52)

Replies: 7
Views: 4218
Last post February 18, 2009, 12:50:08 pm
by rlucas
hatching eggs

Started by exmoorlady (9.52)

Replies: 5
Views: 3211
Last post March 31, 2009, 11:26:00 pm
by Cluckinggoodpoultry
Hatching eggs

Started by exmoorlady (9.52)

Replies: 6
Views: 3551
Last post April 30, 2009, 06:01:44 pm
by shetlandpaul
Hatching eggs

Started by Helencus (9.52)

Replies: 8
Views: 3284
Last post February 28, 2010, 10:15:08 am
by Helencus
hatching eggs

Started by blue hen (9.52)

Replies: 6
Views: 2690
Last post January 22, 2012, 08:46:29 pm
by hughesy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS