Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese  (Read 454 times)

Gidde

• Joined Mar 2022
Geese
« on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:44 am »
Hi there
I have som questions about geese.
We have bought 3. We thought we had bought 2 females and a gander, but now the gander (or so we thought) is staying on the nest... is it the ganders job to do the hatching?
Best regards and thanks,
Gidde

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Geese
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 02:34:09 pm »
Our gander used to sit right outside the open door of the goose house when the female was sitting on eggs. He never sat on the nest himself. Have you seen him treading the females?

How long have the eggs been incubated? We have never had much luck with letting the geese do the job, and even using the incubator was not much better....

Gidde

• Joined Mar 2022
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 03:17:16 pm »
Actually... I have never seen any treading at all. But I have seen the two that we believe are females trying to drown the one who is now sitting on eggs.
We have had ducks for about 15 years now with great succes, so these geese are really bugging me with their strange behaviours and secret gender.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 03:56:05 pm »
Not trying to drown but treading. I would say you have two ganders and a goose. You need another goose asap or get rid of a gander.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 05:01:27 pm »
Harmony beat me to it,
As soon as I read the bit about trying to drown one, sounded like 2 ganders.
Unless 3 females and it's a dominance thing, but unlikely.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 06:05:20 pm »
Our geese (shetlands) have sat and hatched goslings very successfully, 9 out of 10 (unfortunately only 3 were female but you can't have everything  :D )

I agree with the others that your 2 'trying to drown' the third are males and the third is female.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:44:02 pm »
Well our gander did drown one of his two females... it was very upsetting and one of the few things that put me off breeding geese.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 11:33:16 pm »
Our Lavender Muscovies so nearly did the same thing - too many drakes to one duck, but they tasted good  :yum:  Fortunately our pond is not deep so easy to wade in and rescue the duck.
That must have been very unpleasant Anke with your geese.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 11:35:54 pm »
Not trying to drown but treading. I would say you have two ganders and a goose. You need another goose asap or get rid of a gander.
I have had one strange goose which was trying to tread on another goose (had a trio at the time) and it was definitely not a gander - they used to give me 2 eggs in one morning.
I think she just wasn't sure which side she's supposed to be on when mating  :roflanim:
They were African geese btw
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 08:49:37 am »
Female geese can display dominance by treading but it is usually fairly half hearted. At this time of year a female will have bite marks on her head where the males hold her down to tread her. Males will not have these marks. Males also have longer necks than females although this is sometimes harder to spot. I have kept geese for years and still get caught out now and again  ::)

Agree with the others about you having two boys and one girl.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS